Chapter 9 - "I Might Be." Pt. II

Chapter 9

•Ethan's POV•

I stood inside the frame of my wall mirror attached to my closet door. The black skinny jeans seemed too . . . baggy, and the shirt seemed far too . . . long. The whole outfit made me seem too short. I mean, I'm only average height as it is, Jake being a few inches higher, and wearing an outfit that made me look even shorter didn't seem right.

I undid a couple buttons and lifted the shirt over my head and tossed it onto my bed. Then, I undid the belt around my waist and shimmied the jeans down my pale-ish legs. Well, I wasn't exactly pale, just where the short-line ends.

I cringed.

Purple underwear did not seem the perfect attire for the night. Yeah, we probably won't do anything that involves undressing - hell, I'm still contemplating whether I even want to have my first kiss or not - but hey, it's about how I feel in what I'm dressed in, right?

I quickly slip the underwear down my legs and throw them on the bed, too. I walk over to the dresser and take out a pair of bright, rich red boxers and slip them on, then I take a different pair of skinny jeans out of my closet - a tighter, newer pair - and then unhook a dark, navy-blue button-up shirt that has the short sleeves rolled up once or twice.

I throw the whole get up on, along with a pair of plain black and white high-top converse and walk into the bathroom opposite my room, quickly fixing my hair and brushing my teeth. I consider doing one of those pathetic 'you look hot' speeches but shake my head.

It's just Jake. It's just the stupid, really cute guy in my photography class. It's just his wide, stupid grin and his stupid humor. It's just a date.

I leave my room, pocketing my phone and wallet and heading down the stairs where mom and Zoe were seated while eating dinner.

"Are you sure you don't want something to snack on quickly?" Mom asks.

I shake my head. "I told you, we're going to a diner, there'll be food there."

"But we don't have any money to pay," she argues.

"It's fin-" I pause. "Oh God, who's going to pay? We're both guys, so where's the rule for who has to pay? What if he expects me to pay and I can't?"

My mom just chuckles at me, and Zoe watches me with a wide, humorous grin. "Jake did invite you, so really he is expected to pay." I just stare at her. "That's so adorable! My son going on his first date with this handsome young guy. I'm so proud."

"Nuh-uh. No. No, no, no. We are not doing that whole 'I'm proud of my baby' speech. Besides, how do you know he's handsome? You haven't even seen him."

My mom chuckles. "So you think he's handsome?"

"Oh, har-har, mother. Way to trick me," I mutter, crossing my arms and averting my eyes. But when I turn back I can't help but respond to my mother's grin with my own. I really am glad I get to talk to her about this, go through things, ask questions. I wouldn't have been able to do that if my dad was here.

"Well," mom says expectantly. "Is he?"

I roll my eyes and stubbornly ignore my mom's question. She pats the spare space of cushion next to her and I walk over and take the seat. Then I smile. I can't help it. "He is. He really really is. And his brown eyes, God, are they gorgeous to look at. Like, I could stare at them all day and not be bored. And his blond hair, and his bubbly personality. He's almost irresistible."

My mom immediately pulls me into a warm hug. "I really am proud, Ethan." She pulls away and there are tears surfacing. "God, ugh," she says wiping her eyes. I chuckle and pull her back into a hug.