Chapter 4 ~ Nightmares

Life always seems so grueling. Like a fight to get to the end of the day. The end of the week. The end of the month. Then end of the year. Constantly fighting for what we want. Except before we know it, we are no longer fighting towards the end of our day, we are fighting towards our end. We then change the direction of our battle. Fighting against the end instead of fighting towards it. Fighting to stay alive. Life is always a fight. There is never time to put down your guard because before you know it, another struggle just put up its fists. And it's time for you to begin fighting again.

...

I sit on the curb and stare at the puddles. This town. This town will be the death of me. I rest my head on my knees, letting the rain fall on me. I faintly hear the roar of a loud engine approaching. I tilt my head up, and see an old black truck driving towards me.

The car jolts up besides me and stops. Alex rolls down the passenger window. "Get in the car," he says. I can't tell his emotion. It kind of scares me.

I rest my head back on my legs.

"Kristen. You don't know where you are. Get in the damn car," he argues in a lighter tone.

"Why? So you can lecture me about my choices?" I say in a monotone voice.

"Kristen, just get in the car. We can talk, just get in the car. You are a mess." I glare at him. I know I'm a f*cking mess. I can see that Alex, thanks for stating the obvious.

"I don't even know you," I mumble.

"Don't play that f*cking card on me. You know me better than probably anyone here, and you know that. Get in the car." He argues.

I stay put. I'm just making his life a hassle. His life would be easier without me in it. "You don't even know me. Why are you trying to help me? Why do you keep trying to be nice to me?"

He runs his hands through his hair and hits the steering wheel.

"I don't know. I really don't know. Look, you are pissing me off, just get in the f*cking truck."

My eyes go wide as he curses at me.

"Sorry, could you please just get in the truck?" He corrects himself.

I stare at the ground.

"God dammit Kristen, I didn't want to do this." He climbs out of the car and walks over to me. He grabs me by my waist and flings me over his shoulder like I am a sack of f*cking potatoes.

"Hey, get off me!" I growl as I try to wiggle free.

He opens the truck door and sets me in the seat. I huff and cross my arms as he climbs in the other door of the car.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I huff. "No one likes me here. I'm just a girl that everyone wants to get rid of. I don't belong here with you people."

He stays silent and he drives off down the confusing streets.

"I don't know. I guess... I just know how I would feel if I were you. Alone. And no one deserves to feel alone."

"Well, I don't want to be your charity case. You don't need to fix me. I'm not some broken little girl that you and your friends can laugh over." I say as I put my forehead against the cold glass window.