Chapter 1~ Whole New World

Our taxi cab pulls up in front of my Aunt Rose's House. It is a small beach house that is a block away from the ocean. It has a green lawn surrounding the outside, and its small windows are lit up bright. It has a blue exterior with a wooden shingled roof. It is only one story and has a metal chimney poking out from the roof. The surrounding houses in the tiny neighborhood all have For Sale signs. Not one other soul living in these few tiny homes. The stars shine down and make it glow. Beautiful.

"We're here!" my mom says excitedly, accidentally screeching into the driver's ear.

"Watch it lady!" he snaps in a mean tone which hunching further over his steering wheel. His body oder had been strangling me the entire ride. He must be from New York. His accent is thick.

My mom ignores the rude remark and bounces out of the car. I throw a few bills at the driver and open my door. I slam it shut with all of my might. Why? One, I wanted to let my anger out. Two, I really wanted to piss off the taxi driver.

"Here are your bags," my mom says as she closes the back of the taxi and hits the back two times. The driver got her message and sped off into the bright lights of the city.

I sling my duffel bag over my shoulder, take another bag in my hand, and roll my last suitcase behind me. I brought a lot of stuff.

We walk up to the front door and before I can even knock on the door, it bursts open and a man comes walking out. He is definitely not good looking and he seems to be in his early 50's.

He walks past us without a word and proceeds to walk down the sidewalk and into the city lights.

"Who was that?" I ask while still staring down at the man.

"I don't know," my mother says, "Probably one of Auntie's clients."

Great. Living with two stripper/ hookers for the summer, check.

"Girls!" I hear a voice shriek.

"Rosie!" my mom says in her New York-y accent. It isn't too noticable, but it is there.

"Come in, come in!" she says after giving us a big hug.

The house smells of cigarettes and alcohol, but that's what my house smells like so I can't complain. All I can see is the living room that has an archway that leads to the kitchen and the small dining room. There is a hallway to my right that leads to what I am guessing is bedrooms and bathrooms. The house is small and decorated with a beachy feel. The walls are painted peach and the floor is mostly white tile except for the white carpet in the living room. There is a small television with a three person, worn down beige couch facing it. Pictures line the walls of the ocean, sea creatures, and people she must know. One particular picture stands out to me. It is of four people around New Years Eve. All I could tell was that one of them was my mom and the other was Aunt Rosie. The other two were men and my mom looks easily 21. So, it had to be taken 10 or so years ago.

"I'm really tired Auntie. Can we talk tomorrow?" I ask, trying to sound as nice as possible.

"Of course Sweetie! Your room is the very last door on the left down the hall."

"Thanks Rosie. Goodnight," I mutter before walking down the small hallway.

When I open the door, I see a small twin bed with a single quilt on it, pink walls, tan carpet, a small wooden desk, a tiny closet, and a dresser. This room is very small and not decorated. I open up my large suitcase and change into black yoga pants and a big sweater. I wrap my hair into a messy bun before turning off the light and jumping under the quilt.