Chapter 1: Beast

I banged the door behind me, walking down the steps into the rain that was pooring down. I stood in the middle of the garden and tilted up my face. I let it drown every single piece of fabric I was wearing.

I failed again.

I let the rain put out the fire in my clothes. At least I reached level 147 this time without setting the house on fire. Five years of hard work. And still no result.

I sighed and kicked the garden chair standing next to me. G*d damnit. Just three more days till Equinox.

I turned and looked at the house. It still looked the same as when I killed him. So warm and inviting. Harbouring such a dangerous thing like me.

I pulled up an elastic band from my pocket and tied my hair. I walked back to the front door. Gran was standing there waiting for me. Smirking.

“I told you so.”

I pulled up my eyebrow. “What?”

“You shouldn’t watch True Blood when trying to do that spell. You are too much distracted by Eric. You know that.”

I scoffed. “Eric wasn’t even on when he set me ablaze”.

“But I bet you were thinking of him.” She winked.

I grinned. “Hell yes.”

Gran rolled her eyes. “Come in, get a shower and put on some dry clothes. You’ll get a cold this way.”

I sighed. “Gran, a cold is a virus. You can only get it from another person, not from cold or moisture.”

I walked through the door into the hallway were lamps were softly illuminating the room.

She flicked her hand and pushed me towards the bathroom.

“There is absolutely no need for a shower.” I answered.

I concentrated on visualizing the water on my skin evaporating. Slowly steam began to form from my clothes, drawing the water away.

“Show off.” Gran laughed.

“See what you can do if you are not thinking of Eric the Viking?” she winked.

I grinned and kissed her cheek.

I walked back upstairs and opened my bedroom door. The television was still showing True Blood, but now with gorgeous Eric in the spotlight. “Sorry honey, but I cannot concentrate with you in the room.” I switched off the television.

Maybe Gran was right. You never know.

I walked back to the large mirror in the corner of my room and pulled up a chair. It now had some blackened stains from the third fire this year.

I sighed and look at myself in the mirror. My reflection looked so young and innocent. My blond curls and bright blue eyes gave me an angelic appearance. Although I was quite tall, my slender figure reminded of a child.

The only clue to the monster within me was the strange silvery glint that now and so often flashed through my pupils.

Fortunately, hardly anybody noticed. Only Gran, and only because the flashes became much more frequent after my 25th birthday.

I grinned. I remembered how she had become aware of the flashes when she was accidently looking in my eyes when I was blowing out the candles of my cake. She screamed, making me jump and smashing my cake.

After cleaning up, Gran had tried to find anything in her books about it, but to no avail. She had even called her twin, my scary great-aunt to consult, which she tends to avoid at all costs. Both oldies could find absolutely nothing on it.