Chapter 4: All is fair in love and war

Noel's POV

Helena and Darien stood in the doorway stunned. Darien recovered first and kneeled down.

"Kneel down, show your respect." he hissed to Helena.

She was frozen on the spot and couldn't move. Darien quickly pulled her to her knees, and bowed his head to pledge obedience and service to me.

Helena, Roxy and the other vampires in the room followed.

"Rise. " I said.

Father was dead.

Does this mean that the core has been have been transferred to me? Shouldn't I have felt some pain? Why didn't I notice something?

“The core?" I asked Kieran.

He nodded. "It transferred to you. Didn't you feel anything? Its power is pulsing off you."

I shook my head. “No.”

"It should have been painful. Your father, the late king, was in agony during the transfer." Kieran responded.

"Noah likes pain, he constantly starves himself." Darien joked. Helena smirked.

Great even as king they feel the need to make fun of me. I growled and both of them shut up immediately.

They actually looked scared. I grinned. Finally, a way to shut them up. This king business might not be so bad after all.

"How did my father manage to die? I thought that dying was virtually impossible for a vampire with the core inside him?" I asked Kieran.

Kieran shifted uncomfortably and looked at the floor.

“He was tricked. I’ll explain more after you have seen his corpse.” Kieran responded.

I frowned. Why didn’t he just tell me what happened. I got a bad feeling about this.

Kieran led us out of the door towards my father’s limousine. I motioned Darien, Helena and Roxy to follow us.

Roxy shook her head. “I am not putting Oliver in a limousine full of hungry vampires. I’ll follow you with our own car.”

I nodded my head and said goodbye to her.

She should really make a decision about Oliver. His growing addiction to Roxy was quickly becoming a reliability and I hated to see my sister in pain.

We walked over to my father black limousine. What is it with vampires and their need for shiny stuff? What are we, ravens?

"Kieran, from now on I will drive my own car. Sell this or use it for your own purposes. Just get rid of it."

He nodded and wrote it down. I shook my head in disbelief. He actually writes all my commands down. That is too creepy.

We stepped in the limo and left for the palace. I wondered in what sort of state I will find Father-dear in. I grinned. This was going to be good. God, how I hated that man. And now I had to become the same bully as he was.

Vampires are a tricky and unreliable lot. My father had four attempts on his life in the first week of his reign. To set an example, he publicly ripped each assassin apart. Their heads are still on display in the glass cubes that were build in wall at the main entrance to the palace, serving as a ever lasting reminder for what happens when you mess with the Turner family.

God I hoped that I didn’t need to set an example although I could think of several originals way to dispose of any problem makers.

I had absolutely no interest in the intricate politics of the court. I was wondering how I could wiggle myself out of these dealings, when a thought occurred to me. I now had access to all sorts of information. Maybe Kieran as main adviser of my late father would know about Chloe and her family.