M2-Part XXVII

"You won't want any...intruders. Hm?" The smile disappeared almost at the same moment it came on Professor's lips. Professor picked two shovels, tossing one at Henry. He didn't need to be told what to do as he watched Professor go first, his shovel striking into the ground.

~*~

Alex pulled up behind two vehicles. Two vehicles? That seemed out of place as Henry and her father had left in the same car. Thee cold air welcomed her with a shiver as she got out of her vehicle leaving behind Chris who fiddled with the seat belt's lock. By the time Chris emerged from the car, Alex had already walked over to the vehicles in front of hers. She recognized one of them as her father's, quite aright but she couldn't quite place the second one.

"The trail wasn't wrong after all," Chris said, his voice ringing over and over in the silence of the night, under the lonely moon drifting in the starless sky above them.

"Does Henry own a car?" Alex asked, giving up her attempt to peek through the window of the unfamiliar vehicle whose insides, just like everything around her was covered in darkness.

"Yes," Chris answered, "the ones which used remote controls. They'd probably be covered n dust after all these years sitting in the dark attic."

Alex rolled her eyes, not the answer she had expected from him, at least not at this critical moment. She walked back to her car in search of her flashlight, it was almost impossible to make out anything clearly, except of course for the dark shades of their figures.

"So what happens from here?" Chris asked, "we know they're out there but there's no way to reach them since the service here is-" he paused in his sentence, his heart skipping a beat when he saw what laid in front of him as Alex's flashlight shone on as much gravestones as the light could go,"-bad."

They crossed over to the other side of the road, stopping at the knee-height fence. Alex held on to the flashlight with a firm grip as her palms were starting to feel sweaty. Nervousness or fear, she wasn't sure which it was but she sure didn't like the feel of it. The sound of footsteps caught her attention, almost ripping her bones out of her skin in terror. They were supposed to be alone out here, at least except for Henry and her father.

"Well, well, look who could join us," a voice said, sending a ripple of tension across Chris, "cemeteries don't make a good place for site seeing."

"I never knew criminals now hid in graves either," Chris answered, recognizing the voice. He noticed the flash of silver as Detective Miles slid the Glock back into its holster. Chris went numb or a moment, if he had recognized the weapon earlier, perhaps he wound have said a word.

"Who's he?" Alex asked, feeling lost with their little acquaintance.

"Thomas," Chris replied, muttering the full name to himself in silence, Doubting Thomas.

"Thomas?" Detective Miles asked, puzzled as his voice trailed off and his brow furrowed.

"We got company, I see." Quite surprised, Chris and Alex turned to see the faint light of a flashlight approaching them from the other side of the cemetery. As he got closer, his face became illuminated by Alex's flashlight.

"And he came with his girlfriend," Miles said. For a second there, Chris had the urge to protest but no, he'd let it pass this one time at least. "Found anything?"

"No," Maloney replied, "but from the look of things, there should be other exits from this place."

"Alright, we'd make this easy," Miles started, facing Chris and –his girlfriend- Alex. "You lead us to where your friends are, we'd ask a few questions and we all leave happy. Simple."