M2-Part XXVIII

"Did you hear that?" Alex said, somewhat in a whisper. A shiver ran down her spine, her mind in panic. She hadn't expected to run into this fix where she found herself.

They all pulled close to each other, standing back to back. Everyone stood on edge, listening to hear what it was. Their breaths came out in short gasps as their eyes roved about, their heart rattling against their rib cage.

"Vengeance is mine," came a hoarse voice from nowhere. They all heard it clearly; like it had been said directly into their ears and it made Chris' lips tremble as he let out a whimper. Hands tight on their weapons, the two detectives tried facing their fear even when their minds seemed insane. Alex's heart banged hard, like it was going to rip open in the next instance.

"Justice must be served," the voice came again, making them reposition with fear, "justice...will be served."

The same creepy breeze swept around them before Mr. Jones materialized just a few inches from Alex's face, his darker-than-night eyes buried deep in his grim face. She screamed at the terrifying image, her voice synchronizing with the banging sound of gunshots which rang in the silent night like a hundred detonated warheads.

Alex fell to her knees, her hands covered against her ears as tears broke from her eyes against her will. Chris got down beside her, he pulled her close to his shivering body and whispered to her that everything was okay-that was something he knew they both had a better idea of.

"We need to find Professor and Henry," Chris said, almost stuttering.

"There's no way we'll make it out of here," Alex cried, her face was buried in Chris' arm which wrapped around her. They all glanced at her, she was probably right and Mr. Jones seemed to be driving his point home.

Fear had taken dominance over them, their heart beat wildly in their chest and their mind turned frantic and sensitive to everything happening around them. Detective Miles' eyebrows remained furrowed, his facial expression was a cross between surprise and anger and still hetried pushing off Maloney's idea that this was beyond their league.

~*~

Professor Parker's eye shone in shock, his heart beat flew up several paces and his breath paused for a moment there when the gunshots rang across the cemetery. He stopped digging, his gaze met with Chris whose heart felt like it was about to explode and their thoughts ran in the same line. Mr. Jones.

"Wh-" Henry throat tightened and he gave out short gasps, trying to catch his breath. "Wh-Wh-What was that?"

Professor remained silent, his eyes still fixed in the direction from which the shrill cry and gunshots had come from. He tried convincing himself it wasn't what he was thinking but he knew better.

"Alex," he muttered to Henry in a low tone like the mention of the name was forbidden. Henry's breath paused with the hair at the nape of his neck standing on edge; his expression mirrored Professor Parker's.

"How'd she-" Henry didn't need to finish his sentence for him to get an answer to what it was. Chris. She must've convinced him to bring her to the cemetery and that's why he had called earlier. Without a word, Professor threw down the shovel he had been using, tore a piece of his shirt and filled it with a handful of salt.

"What do you think you're doing now?" Henry asked, his mind being absolutely shaken.

"My daughter's out there," Professoranswered; he picked up one of the flashlights they'd been using and then started off in the direction the cry had come from. "Just keep digging, I'll be back," he called out as he disappeared into the night.