Chapter 6

Arriving at the party, I was amazed by how many people were here. With how loud the music was and the number of people, my senses were quickly overwhelmed. Following Lindsey, I wasn't surprised to smell David and his buddies inside up the steps.

"Hey, relax. Flirt with some guys and have a little fun. It's a party, not a funeral." Lindsey smiled at me before jumping into David's arms and disappearing into the crowd of people. Great, now I was alone in a room full of humans.

"Hey, Alejandra." Looking over, I saw Raphael next to me. At least I knew someone, and he was a wolf. I put on my best smile and began flirting with him. I needed to have something about the pack to report to my father tonight, and Raphael would give it to me.

After an hour or so of dancing, I was covered in sweat and ready to get answers. I wasn't going to waste tonight. "So that place you took me to, you said it belonged to the brother of Darren?"

"Yeah, their father passed away about a couple years ago, and it was passed down to him." There was sadness in his eyes when he spoke about David's father. But that would explain why we thought the alpha of this pack was older. He died just a month ago, his eldest taking over the position.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I whispered. I really was sympathetic; losing the alpha was hard on everyone in the pack, not just the immediate family. My pack had spent a month or longer morning when my mother had passed. I was only eight, and when she died, it was just my father and I. Pushing those sad memories out of my head, I tried to stay positive. I needed to focus on my mission.

I danced with a few guys the rest of the night before spotting an upset Lindsey outside. Walking over, I decided to find out who was upsetting her.

"I can't just leave my parents." I heard her say.

"You don't have to leave town, but you would have to come live with me for a while for their safety." I saw David lay a hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her down.

I didn't like what I saw. I walked over, "Is there a problem, David?" I might not be an Alpha, but it ran strongly through my veins. David glanced down at the ground, clearly confused as to why he submitted to me so quickly.

"Not at all Alejandra." He murmured.

"Good because I think that Lindsey said no." I looked at her, "are you ready to leave, Lindsey?"

She nodded her head, and we turned to walk away.

I heard David yelling after me, "Alejandra, where did you get that tattoo?"

My eyes widened in fear; he had seen it, and I had completely forgotten it was there. "I had too much alcohol one night." That was the excuse all Americans made, right? The truth was that Raul had already marked me. It was the only way that my father would allow me to come. When he did, it was the worst experience in the world. I had never felt that much pain before. There was a tattoo on my left shoulder of a single wolf howling at the moon when he was done. And when I mark Raul, his will be matching. It is our way of claiming the person we will spend the rest of our life with.

Lindsey drove us home in silence that night, and we went straight to our separate bedrooms. I called my father and reported what I had learned. I didn't tell him that David saw my mark. He reminded me not to do anything dangerous because Raul was on his way. After I said goodnight, I laid myself down in bed and tried sleeping. Unfortunately, I was plagued with a restless night, and a stomach ache.