Chapter 14 - One (Part 2)

Amadeus continued to rack his brains, simulating strategy after strategy to stay alive but none of them seem to work. Blow after blow, he continued to dodge by feeling the vibrations against his fingers. As he tried to reposition himself after dodging one of Thudza's swings, he collided with a hard surface – the arena wall. There was a ringing in his ears as he tried to keep his balance. Panic started to fill his mind as he trembled and stumbled towards the wall. Every fiber of his body told him that if he lost his balance, the next blow would surely kill him. He leaned one hand against the wall for support, trying to stay calm. As he put his hand on the wall, he felt a crack between the sandy bricks. A weak spot, he thought to himself. That's it!

Amadeus gathered his last ounce of energy. Leaning on the wall to catch his breath, he prepared for one last dodge. He closed his eyes and put one palm on the ground. As the vibrations got closer and closer, he took a deep breath. The Lighvel shone brightly in response.

Thudza was improvising on his strategy, he took a large side swipe in an attempt to catch Amadeus in mid-dodge. This time however, Amadeus didn't jump out of the way to dodge. The Lighvel reacted in a way it had never done before. It ignited brightly with a flash of light and a burst of energy surged into both his legs.

Filled with supernatural agility and speed, Amadeus leapt upwards as the lightning in his legs propelled him high above the arena.

It was only a split second before he started to free fall. From the top of the arena, he could make out Thudza's large shadow. He spun in mid-air and angled his body to dive head first towards Thudza. Every enemy has a weak point. Even the Rokuth.

The weakest point of every human, he thought as he plummeted towards the earth at high speeds.

The eyes, Amadeus thought as he extended the Lighvel forward ready to strike. Thudza, looking up at Amadeus, was prepared to receive him. He extended his hands out, preparing to grab and crush the falling humie with his bare hands.

Don't kill him, don't kill him, don't kill him, Amadeus repeated over and over in his head as he made contact with Thudza. Thudza grabbed Amadeus by the neck as he came within reach. Amadeus felt the life being squeezed out of him and Thudza started to tighten his grip around his windpipe.

It's now or never. Amadeus pressed the Lighvel against Thudza's face and a bright light erupted as the Lighvel poured out lightning into Thudza's eye sockets – the only part of his body that did not have rock-hard skin for protection. Smoke curled up from Thudza's ears and his mouth was agape; eyes blank and lifeless. It happened so quickly that Thudza did not have time to register what had just happened.

As the large behemoth known as Thudza collapsed on the floor in a heap, Amadeus knelt beside his limp body, tired but relieved. Amadeus breathed in hungrily, drawing air into his lungs. His neck was red and bruised, souvenirs from his battle with Thudza. As both Amadeus and Thudza remained motionless in the middle of Da Bez Arena, the dust cloud started to settle and visibility began to clear up. The spectators of the arena chanted Thudza's name loudly, thinking that Thudza had finally managed to smash the tiny humie. However, as the dust cleared, the crowd was reduced to whispers; and then, silence. It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Amadeus took his time, drawing in air, feeling the life pour back into his body. He slowly stood up and emerged as the victor. He walked towards the Chief Dabos' throne. The ground crunching under his every step echoed in the now silent arena.

"It is done, give me No-One."

*******

Chief Dabos frowned. He was expecting Amadeus to lose. It would have been most fortunate for him if that had happened. He would not only gain shinies, but also get to keep No-One. Seeing that this tiny 'humie' had defeated one of the strongest upcoming Rokuth warriors, he was momentarily tongue tied.