Chapter 16 - Jagged (Part 2)

Early next morning, Amadeus stretched wide as he awakened. Wow, I must have been exhausted. I slept like a log. The sun was peeking through the mountains, showering their camp with warmth and light.

"Good morning," Rei yawned. He was hunched over and sharpening his frost dagger with a sharpening stone. The stone looked very similar to the one Amadeus saw in the White Harrow blacksmith. One was busy at work, covering over the remains of their campfire with sand. The embers glowed weakly as the sand washed over them, extinguishing them entirely.

Turning to look for Izumi, Amadeus spotted her staring back at him with uncertain eyes. She quickly darted her eyes in the other direction, and her cheeks flushed red.

"Grab your things, we leave in a couple of minutes," Izumi hurriedly instructed. "If we hurry we should reach the Jagged Peaks before noon." She walked away to sit on a sand dune, and started checking her equipment.

"The rest of the night was uneventful," Rei added. "but don't let your guard down. I have no idea if White Harrow sent anyone else after you." He looked towards the distant mountain range and started walking towards it. He motioned for them to follow him.

After the previous day's long journey, the next stretch of walk towards the Jagged Peaks passed by quickly and with ease. Amadeus was thankful for that, as they could no longer drink from the waterskin he had purchased from Da Bez Town knowing that it was laced with night essence. In what felt like the blink of an eye, they were standing at the base of the Jagged Peaks. The mountain cast a huge shadow on the group, sheltering them from the sun.

"Well, here we are Amadeus. The Jagged Peaks, home to the Riders of the Sky."

"You mean the Avianath?"

"One and the same," Rei grinned.

"Why did you call them the Riders of the Sky?"

"Didn't you know?" Rei asked, surprised. "All Avianath ride on birds called Eadren. They are as large as bears and as ferocious as wolves."

Amadeus gazed up at the imposing mountain which stretched vertically upwards for miles. There was no mountain path to walk on. "So uh, how do we get up there?" he asked.

"Well, people say that the Jagged Peaks are so treacherous and steep that no normal person would dare to climb it. We however, are not normal." Rei replied, unfazed by the height of the mountain.

Amadeus hesitated. He stepped forward and felt the rocky base of the mountain face. "Ouch," he exclaimed; the surface felt like daggers.

"They don't call it the Jagged Peaks for nothing." Rei grinned, "Even the Avianath don't climb up. They ride the Eadren all the way up to the peak. It's the ideal place to stay if you don't want any unwanted visitors."

"Well, let's get it over with so we can get back to Ichi." Izumi rubbed her hands together and started making her way up the mountain face. Rei followed suit, easily catching up with her.

Amadeus looked at One and sighed. One bowed down and gestured for Amadeus to go first. "After you, master."

Amadeus cautiously held onto jutting rocks on the mountain face and pulled himself up. He managed to find a foothold and used that to push himself upward to find another rock ledge to grab onto. On and on, he continued climbing upwards. This isn't so difficult; it's like climbing a tree... a very sharp and hostile tree. One followed closely beneath him, looking up protectively.

The wind whipped around them strongly, swirling around them like waves in the ocean. It grew stronger and more intense as they progressed on their climb. The rocks towards the peak were covered in snow, making them more slippery and treacherous to climb.