•Chapter Nineteen•

"My-my what?!" I can't help but exclaim in shock.

"Your new bodyguard." Peter says solemnly and turns his back to me and starts unpacking his suitcase in Tobias' Wardrobe. "I heard your last one fucked up pretty bad!"

He laughs again heartily but I don't. How could I be so stupid, not to think they would replace him?

"Awh, come on Princess. That was a funny one!" He jokes and starts walking towards me. The gesture makes me uncomfortable so I start edging away form him and towards the door.

"I-I'll leave you to get unpacked." I say and get out as soon as I can.

"See you soon Princess!" He calls behind me and I walk faster to my room. The way he says 'Princess' makes my skin crawl. I run in, lock the door and lean up against it. Why does he put me on edge so much? I swear I've seen his face before, but where?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day passes slowly as I spend all day in my room, avoiding Peter. Susan comes in to clean my room in the afternoon and Robert brings my dinner at five.

All day, I lay on the floor pondering my life and how it's changed. This is how I used to spend days but now I have the excitement of tonight.

I have the key stored under my pillow as they took my dauntless clothes (or should I say Christina's) away. I was also careful to hide it when Susan changed my sheets earlier.

I decided I'll wait until everyone is asleep. I know I said Ten o'clock to Tobias but it's already nine thirty and I can still see Peter's light on in his room. I can't risk being caught.

Every five minutes I open my door a crack to see if he's gone to bed yet but the light still shines under the crack of the door. I look at the big clock on my wall. 9:50.

If he doesn't go to bed soon, I'll never get to see Tobias in time.

Just as I'm about to give up at five to ten I hear a click from Peter's room and the light in the cracks vanish and it is replaced with darkness.

I do a victory dance in my head and I grab my jacket, a torch and the key and close my door as quietly as I can behind me.

I might have to ask Tobias if we can meet later on the future as Peter doesn't look like the kind of guy who goes to bed early for a good night's sleep. I make a mental note to tell Tobias about Peter, I wonder if they know each other from Dauntless?

I walk past Caleb's room and do a mini prayer to thank god when I hear his loud snores vibrating against the doors.

When I reach the ballroom, I step inside and walk to the doors to the orchard. My mind flashes to how excited I was when Tobias took me outside just a week ago. So much has changed since then.

I unlock the door with the key and put it in my bra as their so pockets in dresses- I miss skinny jeans. My hand wavers of the handle door and clasp in and open it as the midnight air wafts in my face. I smile.

I look behind me once more, paranoid, then step out of the door, closing it behind me.

I switch my torch on and look around for Tobias. But he's nowhere to be seen. "If I did all that for nothing and he doesn't even show up I'll kill him!" I  mumble under my breath.

An owl chirps from behind me as if it's laughing at me. I turn around and glare at it and it quickly flies off.

But now I regret it as it's as if the orchard has gone deadly silent now. All I can hear is my own heart beat thumping in my chest and my raged breathing shivering form the cold.