1.26

The Best Laid Plans

Zara Wintsel, president of Genics Corp, lived like a queen. The opulence—the sickening wastefulness—made Reyne want to be off Myr and out in the fringe where things made sense. "Let's make this quick," he gritted out. "I want to be on the tram and on our way back to the ship as soon as possible."

"You don't need to twist my arm," Demes said.

"I should've brought a bigger bag," Sixx said, entranced by the fortunes on display everywhere.

Reyne eyed the large duffle. "Your bag is plenty big enough."

He turned his attention back to the mission at hand. If there was evidence of Myr's plans for the Collective, Heid said it would be stored on Dr. Zara Wintsel's personal computer. Heid's friend—one who called herself Mariner—had seen the files for herself and had shared the details with the Founders. Rather than going for the data, the Founders chose instead to release the blight at Genics Corp's Moon lab. Unfortunately, the attack did nothing to sway Wintsel and her Myrad coconspirators from moving ahead with their plans.

Heid suspected that the Founders would assassinate Wintsel and destroy any proof of the Myrad's involvement to help prevent war. With no proof, the conspirators behind Ice Port and Sol Base's destruction would never be punished. And that was something Reyne couldn't abide.

He analyzed the silver-plated mansion that sprawled across the pristine landscape. Fountains and bushy trees dotted the lawn, providing plenty of cover to approach the house from the back. A smattering of tenured house staff came and went. Four security personnel arrived and made rounds shortly before Wintsel landed late into the night in a hovercraft. One of the guards escorted her into her house.

An hour later, several house lights remained on, but Reyne had seen no signs of movement. "How's the security look?" he asked Demes who lay on the ground in between Reyne and Sixx.

Demes ran a scanner as Reyne looked over his shoulder. Dots lit up at the mansion's entrances but nowhere else. "Piece of cake."

Reyne shook his head. "Let's hope that scanner is accurate." He rose to his feet and stretched. His joints were constantly reminding him how much stronger gravity was on Myr than on Playa.

"Demes, you stay between me and Sixx," Reyne ordered.

"Oh, come on. I've been through a lot deeper shit before."

"Yeah, but I don't want to listen to Critch's incessant complaining if you get yourself killed," Reyne snapped back. "Now, follow me."

He took the lead, weaving between fountains and under thick trees to stay in the shadows. It was late, the time Wintsel would be soundly asleep and her guards snoozing on the job.

The trio moved slowly and carefully as they approached the mansion and made their way to the house. Reyne, still in lead, peeked around the corner. He counted three windows down to the one that would be the office window. He bit his lip to keep from cursing, and he turned to face Demes and Sixx.

"There's a light on," he whispered. "Which means she may or may not be in there. Sixx, I need you to check it out."

Sixx gave a quick nod and moved quickly in a half-crouched pace toward the window. When he reached it, he flattened against the wall, and gingerly peered around the pane.

As Sixx hurried back, Reyne scanned the yard to make sure they were still alone.

"She's in there all right. She's sitting at her desk reading a book, just on the other side of the window, facing away from us. The room is small and the door is closed."