4.18

Frayed Standoff

Sol Base, Darios

"Marshal, the Unity and its complement has just emerged from jump and is less than three hours out. Laciam has two frigates and three destroyers more than us, plus a lot more trained dromadiers," Shauna reported from the Littorio.

In the Sol Base command room, Reyne shot a glance at Sixx and Sammy before turning back to the screen. "Be ready to jump if they start shooting. The same goes for the Houston. If they attack, they're going to take Sol Base, but at least we can prevent them from getting their warship and destroyer back."

She nodded. "We'll be ready."

"Until he shows aggression, give him no reason to believe that the Littorio and the Houston aren't dead in the black. The last thing we want is a fight. Our goal is to negotiate an armistice."

She lifted a brow. "You haven't met Corps General Laciam yet, have you?"

Reyne scowled. "No. I heard he has an over-abundance of confidence."

She laughed. "You just described every citizen I've ever met."

"He may be hotheaded, but he's got to be smart to be the position he's in. I'm counting on him knowing what's best for the Collective and not come in shooting."

"Good luck with that," she said.

Reyne disconnected the comm.

"You really think they'll jump if Sol Base is fired upon?" Sixx asked.

"I have no idea," Reyne replied. "They have a bone to pick with the CUF, just like we do. Whether they stay and fight or run to fight another day... I just don't know what they'll do."

Hatha entered the room with Tully at her side. "I heard the Unity has reached our sector."

"It has, along with a full complement of frigates and destroyers," Reyne said. "We have three hours tops before they get here. That's assuming they're coming in close to talk and not just fire on us as soon as they reach firing range."

She frowned. "I'd like to think they wouldn't bomb their own food supply. Speaking of which, because of the CUF blockade, I've grounded all Alluvian and Myr transports in the docks."

"There's no blockade yet," Reyne said.

"I may have been a couple hours premature on my message; however, we both know there will be a blockade as soon as the Unity arrives."

"I bet the transport drivers are none too happy sitting in the middle of the war's hotbed," Sixx chimed in.

"They'll like it less if the food starts to rot in their cargo holds," Hatha said before turning back to Reyne. "I've already notified my brokers on both Alluvia and Myr that their current shipments are delayed due to the CUF's blockade, and they won't see another shipment until the transports can depart without being shot or seized."

Reyne spoke. "Having empty shelves in the grocery stores will certainly inspire citizens to call their senators and demand them to negotiate. Since you've never been linked to the torrents, you'll have a better chance at talking with Laciam. Are you good with that?"

"Of course."

"Stationmaster, Marshal, there's a ship that emerged from jump just outside our airspace."

"Is it CUF?" Reyne asked.

"No. It's broadcasting media codes." He ran his hands over the screen. "The captain says they're transporting Willas James of DZ-Five News, and he's requesting clearance to land under the Fair News and Reporting Act."