5.3

Déjà Vu

Rebus Station, Terra

Seda Faulk was in the middle of negotiating a trade deal when Hari entered the room and zeroed in on him. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to speak with you, Mr. President," she said, not sounding the least bit apologetic.

With a sudden sense of unease, he stood. He turned to the citizens and colonists sitting on opposite sides of the large conference table. "Please continue. I'll return shortly."

He followed Hari out of the room. "What is it?" he asked as soon as the door closed behind them.

"You'll never believe it," she said as she rushed him down the hallway, "but a call has just come through the tablet."

He frowned. She spoke of his Founders tablet, a device he hadn't used since Mason pulled a coup, killed Seda's wife, and tried to have him killed. The Founders who'd broken off the larger group and joined the fringe, like Hari and Seda, knew better than to use the tablet for communications. When they broke away from the organization, they no longer considered themselves Founders. Seda had even considered destroying the tablet on more than one occasion. "Who's the caller?"

She looked around before answering in a hushed tone. "Mason."

Seda came to a stop. "That's impossible."

She tugged him forward. "I know."

They entered his office and closed and locked the door. Hari lifted the tablet she'd been hiding within her jacket and handed it to him.

He entered his passcode, and the screen came to life. While the account was Mason's, Gabriel Heid's was certainly not the visage that appeared on the screen. Seda's eyes narrowed. "Corps General, what game are you playing?"

"No game," Anders replied. "I have a question for you. I believe that once you're a Founder, you're always a Founder. Do you agree with that statement, Seda, or should I say, Aeronaut?"

Seda thought for a long moment before answering. "I agree...Mason."

Anders nodded, then smiled. "Good. Then I have a tremendous opportunity for you."