Chapter 2: The First One

I glared at the liquid eyeliner in my hand and shook it. "Work, damn you! I have to be at school in 20 frickin minutes!" I shook it ferociously. This eyeliner always gave me problems. Must be it knows when I need to hurry, cause as far as I have noted, it works when I am not in a hurry.

  "Jade! We have to leave in 9 minutes! Hurry up!" Kent yelled up the steps. I groaned in frustration.

  "Just wait a little!" I yelled back.

  He didn't say anything but I could faintly hear him mutter, "Geez. Whats wrong with you this morning?" Although he didn't expect an answer, I gave him one.

  "Your face is whats wrong with me." I slammed the eyeliner on the counter top. "Fine. Don't work!" I huffed, stalking into my room. I rummaged through my drawers, unsuccessfully finding anything to wear. Finally I just jammed on my ripped black jeans on from yesterday, and pulled my MCR band t shirt on. I jammed on a studded bracelet, grabbed my backpack, and hurried downstairs to try and get some breakfast before Kent ate it all.

  "You know." Kent mumbled around a mouthful of pancakes. I almost gagged. "Yesterday was your seventeenth birthday." He swallowed his bite. "How come you didn't do anything?" He asked quizzically.

  "Meh. I don't know. I just didn't feel active." I said, closing the fridge door. He nodded slowly and proceeded to eat. I slapped him playfully on the back of the head as I walked past him.

  "Come on bean head. We're gonna be late!" I said, heading out the front door. He stood, wiped his mouth, and grabbed his backpack.

  Once we were on the road, I opened my folder and pulled out my test. He look at me quite astonished.

  "You still haven't done your test?" He asked incredulously. I shook my head and tried to focus.

___

  The first thing I did after school was get ready to leave to meet the kids again. It had become a regular job over the summer, once it was realized I didn't have a job after school. So the local children's center had invited me to come babysit the five to seven year olds in the afternoon. Not that I minded though. I loved kids alot.

  Our usual greeting in place, I was helping the kids color some pictures, when a voice startled me out of my little quiet place.

  "Jade?!" I heard a voice ask. But I didn't have to turn around to know it was Laurel's voice. I stood and slowly turned around.

  "Yeeaaahh?" I drew out the word, with my eyes darting around the room for some sort of escape route. I could see her taking me in. From my lime green Nike sneakers, to my caprees, and my hot pink top with my blonde hair on top of my head in a messy bun. Her mouth fell open.

  "You.. what.. you're not all... gothed up.." She stammered. I rolled my eyes, my embarrassment over.

"Duh!" I retorted. "And for your info, it's not goth. It's emo!" I punctuated, trying to seem like my normal bitchy self.

"Nuhuh. Don't get all tough with me." She smiled, her surprise over, as she started walking towards me. "I've been standing here watching you for the last ten minutes. And you're amazing with these kids!" She smiled at me again. "You're not who you are at school at all. Are you?" She asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I denied. She scoffed.

"Come ooon Jade." She laughed. "Why do you pretend to be someone you're not at school?" She asked, her face turning serious.

My facial expression hardened. "I don't wanna talk about it." I snapped. She jumped and I instantly felt bad. "I.. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you." She smiled again.

"It's okay. If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine." She looked around the room at the kids, who were attentively listening in on the conversation, their eyes wide. Though I'm sure they didn't know what on earth was going on, or what we were talking about.

"Hey, I'm going dress shopping for prom this weekend. Can you come with me?" She asked, momentarily changing the subject. She noticed my hesitation though. "Come ooonn! It'll be fun! I promise." She took my hand. "Pleeeaaaasee?" She begged.

"Now you sound like my brother Kent." I laughed. She smiled.

"So does this mean you're coming?" She asked excitedly. I slowly nodded.

"I guess."

"Great! I'll pick you up about ten o'clock Saturday morning!"

"Uhh... what time was that again?" I stammered, staring at her in disbelief.

"Ten o'clock. Is that to late? Maybe I should move it earlier. How about nine?" She asked, looking thoughtful.

"No! No! Uh.. yeah, ten is fine!" I almost yelled. Poor sleep deprived me. I already feel tired just thinking about it. "Uh, anyway. I need to get back to these kids. So, I should go." I smiled at her.

"Okay sure. I have to go home anyway." We both smiled and waved goodbye. But before she walked out the door, I grabbed her arm.

"Hey, please don't tell anyone about- this." I motioned to myself. She nodded.

"I promise."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks!" I yelled after her. "Seeya!" She turned and waved just before she went outside.

Once she left, I turned back to the kids and clapped my hands. "Okay, who wants to do some finger painting?" I asked them. The answer I got was cheers all around. Well okay, that was a definite yes. Time to get dirty... I mentally groaned.

___

"Hey Kent." I said wearily as I plunked my bag down beside the couch.

"Hey Ja- Woah! What happened to you?!" He almost yelled. I laughed.

"Wellll... The kids got this idea that attacking me with the finger paint would be a good idea. So, I sorta became their canvas. Talk about a masterpiece!" I motioned to myself for the second time that day.

He tipped his head back and laughed. "I love kids." He said, turning back to the TV.

"Is dad back yet? I asked over my shoulder as I walked into the kitchen.

"No. He said he has to work late again tonight." Kent replied.

I yanked open the fridge door pushed stuff around trying to find something edible. I finally settled on a package of pudding.

"Why can't he spend at least one freaking day with us?" I asked. I sighed bumped the silverware drawer shut with my hip after I grabbed a spoon.

"I don't know. But I'm getting tired of it. Ever since mom- you know... He's started working more." He said. I walked into the living room and sat down cross legged beside him on the couch in silence. I nodded quietly. I didn't like when he brought mom up. It was usually kinda rare, but when he did, he knew it made me feel bad.

He leaned over and hugged me. "Sorry Jade." I smiled weakly.

"It's okay. Just please change this stupid crap." I motioned to the TV. He laughed and threw me the remote.

**Hey guys! Thanks for reading. I got like two chapters in one day. What are the odds? XD But anyway, I'm going to try to update as soon as possible. So seeya lovelies!**