Chapter 4: Lucas

Saturday finally came and I was fearing the worst. I groaned and rolled over, slapping the button on top of my alarm clock.

"Yo Jade! Your friend is here! Laurel or something!" I heard Kent yell up the steps. In groggy surprise, I turned my head towards my alarm clock. Oh shit! fifteen minutes late! Crap! I attempted to roll gracefully out of bed like girls do in movies. But apparently I was tangled in the blankets and my descent was not the least graceful as I fell to the floor with a loud thump.

I moaned and rubbed my head. Great way to start your morning Jade. I thought. Well, today should be fun.

I heard Laurel come up the steps. Why did she sound perfect even walking? I mentally slapped myself for thinking that. What the heck Jade? I messily rolled over and tried to stand up, only resulting in falling down again. This time, on my stomach.

Of course, it was my luck, that Laurel walked in just then. So, for her entertainment first thing in the morning, was a messy haired blonde, lying on the floor, tangled in the blankets, looking quite frustrated. A look of pity crossed her face before she busted up laughing. Honestly, I couldn't blame her, I must have looked a sight lying there.

I grinned slowly trying not to crack my face, and laughed. Well, attempted to. But as we all know, our morning voices aren't the best and my attempted laugh came out as a croak; which of course, made her laugh all the harder.

I finally succeeded in untangling myself from the blankets, and stood up with her help. "Thanks." And I totally meant it. I probably would've been stuck there for awhile if she hadn't helped me.

"Good morning Jade." She said cheerily, amidst a smile. She walked over to my closet, and proceeded to go through my clothes.

"Hey." I greeted her. I stretched and yawned. "I'm sorry for not getting up sooner," I continued. I threw my blanket on my bed. "For some reason my alarm clock went off late." I frowned.

"It's okay!" She chirped. "Aha! Found one!" She exclaimed. Wow. A girl that gets this excited over clothes? I so pity her boyfriend. She held up a plain black shirt with a high waisted plaid mini skirt, and after examining them, threw them, and a pair of black lace up boots at me. "Go put that on!" She said excitedly. 

  I stumbled into the bathroom, and groped for the light switch. Ugh, this day was going to be painful! I cringed as I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair looked matted and it was all wavy from lack of straightening, and, apparently, I was so tired last night I had forgotten to take my makeup off. So there were large black smudges underneath my eyes. Well, so much for making a good first impression on her. 

  I sighed and attempted to pull my pajama top off to replace it with the outfit. 

  "So, what kind of dress are you looking for?" I head Laurel call from outside the door.

  I'm not looking for a dress. I'm only going because I didn't want to hurt your feelings, I thought. But of course, I couldn't say that. "Uh, I'm not quite sure." I called back to her. I pulled the shirt over my head and slipped my arms in, pulling my hair out of the neckline. 

  "Really? Well, I know the perfect dress for you! I saw it the other day and I thought, Oh my god! This totally looks like Jade!" I could literally hear her excitement in everything she said. I face palmed myself, this really was going to be a long day. 

  I finally struggled into my outfit, combed through my tangled hair, applied eyeliner, and gathered my things. Running down the stairs, almost tripping in the process, I waved to Kent as I ran out the door.