Chapter 11

"He looked at her! He actually checked her out!" Julia shrieked, taking a big slurp of her noodle soup. We were having a late dinner at her place.

"He's a guy!" I snorted, rolling my eyes "Of course he checked her out."

She scowled at me, I sat on her counter and Julia on the window rail.

"He's my boyfriend, damn it!" Julia frowned, offended "Her legs might've been taller than my whole body, and she might have been blonde with boobs so big they touched her chin... But I'm the girl who is there for him – for everything –, so he should be checking me out!"

"You're being irrational. He's a man, for Christ's sake! You know they always check out the market" I shrugged, taking a generous sip of my beer.

"You're-"

Our talk was interrupted by the loud laughs and talk at the back of the building. Julia rolled her eyes and took a big gulp of her soup. TheDrag Queens in the back of our building were a routine everyone had gotten used to. They were loud, outspoken and just plain in your face. We loved them.

"You're saying that because you're single. Well, kinda single." Julia winked "How's Mr Our Nation's Hero doing?"

"He's doing very fine. We're going out this Saturday. He said it's a surprise."

"And you love those" Julia chuckled.

"I just hope cameras aren't involved" I winced, biting into my own noodles.

"Kinky...!" Julia winked "Ok, look, go slow – which you are. I'm glad and proud of you for it, but don't push the guy aside, ok?"

"Weren't you the one saying he could have some hidden agenda?" I raised a brow at her.

"He came to your apartment, got into your Da's old clothing – itchy clothing – and had pizza and ice cream for dinner. C'mon... even I am in love with him!."

"You're really ambiguous. You're supposed to help me make decisions, not confuse me even more" I replied with a pout.

"Ok, you're right, I'm-" Julia groaned as the Queens laughed and yelled again "That's it! Fantasia!" She opened the window and yelled outside "For God's sake! Will you two shut up?! It's three am! No more dick tonight!"

"No more dick for you, love, apparently!" Was Fantasia's response, and even I had to laugh.

"I'm going down there and I'm gonna take your Diana Ross wig and burn it!" Julia groaned.

"Let the girls be." I smiled, jumping down from the counter and joining her at the window "Sorry, girls. Man trouble."

"Don't I know everything about that!" The big black man-woman with a heavy, wild curly wig yelled back, in her deep red sparkling dress "What did the asshole do this time, love?"

"I can't believe I'm actually discussing my relationship issues with the drag queens..." Julia sighed.

"They're still men, deep down." I chuckled, shrugging "They know more than both of us combined."

"Well, that's true..." Julia chuckled "The asshole keeps checking other bitches. With me standing right next to him"

"Uh, girl! Men be nasty!" Her big hands and red fake nails waved at us, making us chuckle "And don't we know it..."

"Remember Raphael?" The white girl with a pretty Marilyn Monroe blond wig tapped the other with her white ball gloves "That bitch came home to me and then went on and served my downstairs neighbour!"