Chapter 20

Amanda was sitting in my bed, with many covers as I could get over her bruised legs. I forced her to take a shower, change into one of my pyjamas, and lay down, while Tyler made something that was definitely good food.

"Thanks." I mumbled, as he passed me a piece of bread with a spoon of honey "I don't know who or where to call."

"You should make her talk, before you do anything else." Tyler advised, grabbing a small tray and setting the bread, omelette and tea on it "Eat your bread."

"Sure, Da." I smiled, taking the small piece in two bites "Thank you."

"Do you think... it was him?"

"I need to talk to her to be sure" I sighed, taking the tray with me.

"Do you want me to call the authorities on him? Just in case" Tyler asked, grabbing my upper arm so I would look back; his thumb stroked me over my sweater.

"Not yet." I asked, sighing "Let me know what happened, first."

I knocked on my bedroom door and heard my sister's mumble letting me inside.

"Hey. Brought you something to eat." At her wrinkled nose, I chuckled "I didn't make it, promise. Can I come in?"

"Alice, it's your home" She shrugged.

I walked inside, closing the door behind me with my heel. I took a seat by her side, as she squirmed back up, leaning back into the pillows. She winced at the pain in her ribs.

"Here, I'll help you" I mumbled, setting the tray on the floor.

I helped her lean back, comfortably. As she was again covered by the duvet and blankets, I placed the tray over her lap.

"Eat something."

Amanda obeyed in silence. I still got shivers all over my skin, and tears to my eyes as I watched her. Her pretty face had bumps and bruises all over, her lips were cut, her left eye swollen, her cheek had a purple bump, and there were marks of hands around her slender neck. When I brought her, I realised there were more hands on her upper arms and bruises on her ribs and legs. I'm sure whoever attacked her, had kicked and punched her. Eventually, he tried to smother her.

"Mandy... You need to tell me who hurt you" I spoke with the most soothing voice I could.

"I think it's a no brainer." She actually snorted "Who do you think did this to me?"

I swallowed hard. I had a feeling, but it was just... it was chocking, really. Nick had never, in the entire time I've known him, been violent towards anyone.

"Tell me what happened."

Amanda sighed, finishing her omelette. She took a small sip of the tea and winced, her lower lip trembling and her eyes stinging with tears – she would never let me see those.

"Here. Small sips. Good, that's good."

"Thanks" Amanda slurred through swollen lips.

"How did it happen?" I pressed, taking the tray back to my lap, and letting her finish the mint tea – her favourite.

"Well..." Amanda shrugged, nonchalant "I was talking about the flowers. Flowers are really expensive, you have no idea." She assured me with a roll of her eyes; I winced as I could only see the one that wasn't swollen "Anyway... Nick's job is... well... He was going to be dismissed after this last construction, so money was tight."

I nodded. I could see where this was going. I had eavesdropped on her talk with Mum, so I knew my sister would not have been happy about her fiancée being without a job – Amanda is uptight about that, she would never date a scrub.