Chapter 22

April 28th, 2:00 p.m. Central Park, New York City

A week had passed since the connection. They spent every moment since then together. Danny helped her bring some of her spring and summer clothes over to his apartment. His walk-in closet was even larger that hers, but she never questioned the fact that it was sparsely filled. Kate picked outfits that had hung in her closet for months, but that she hadn't bothered trying on, tags still hanging on them. She still wore long sleeved shirts and blouses.

They relished the honeymoon mode they were in; Danny took Kate out every night and led her on nice walks in the City, especially in Central Park. As they strolled, he recalled that when he wasn't with someone, every couple he saw held hands. Now that he was with her, no one else seemed to be holding hands.

They walked past BelvedereCastle, through the Ramble, along the path above the location of the buried vials. They came upon a clearing, shielded by dogwood trees and other foliage. She turned and hugged him, head cuddled against his chest. She looked up, beaming into his eyes, as if to say, 'I'm yours'. He fell backward onto the ground and took her with him, rolling around and laughing in the dirt.

"I want to be with you, Eric," she murmured. "I don't think I'll ever want to sleep again if it means missing time with you."

"Wow," he said, shaking his head. "You know, they say that you know you're in love when reality is better than your dreams."

"I don't give a shit what they say. I just want to freeze this moment."

Danny rolled her over, lowering her to the ground, kissing her neck. Left alone for a minute longer, they would have delved into some more tender pleasures of the flesh, but they were rudely interrupted by an elderly couple who also strayed from the path. The two lovebirds sprung up, but not before the couple had seen their activity.

"Don't mind us," the woman said, charmed by her discovery.

Danny's sheepish grin acknowledged the newcomers. He apologized, then led Kate away back onto the path.

He would have suggested they head out for some lunch, when he felt the buzz from his cell phone indicating a text. "Oh, shit," he said after reading the encrypted text message.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I have to head back to the gym. I had scheduled a work out session with a client that I totally forgot about."

When they reached Broadway, they split up, Kate heading south to Danny's apartment, he heading north, but not to the gym. On the way, Danny glanced at the text again. It was from Joanne, directing him to meet her on the rooftop of 335 West 81st Street. When he got there, he took the elevator to the top floor, then the stairwell up to the rooftop.

When he opened the bulkhead door and stepped outside, he saw Joanne. She was turned away, looking out over the parapet westward, past the Hudson River at New Jersey. He walked up to her, avoiding eye contact as they continued to enjoy the view.

Joanne spoke first. "You reviewed what I'd sent you?"

"Yeah," he replied.

"The next phase won't involve you. But I may need you for Phase III, should it come to that.

"Won't I be read in on that?"

"When the time comes," she said as if he'd just pried into her own sexual proclivities.

He shook his head with a disapproving throat clearing.

Joanne turned to face him. "You have a problem with that, Danny?"