Chapter 26

April 29th, 7:30 p.m., Brooklyn Heights, New York City

They strolled on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade as they admired the Manhattan's skyline set against the nighttime sky like stalagmites formations shimmering with speckled yellow lights, the sky glowing cobalt blue. The EmpireStateBuilding was lit in blue with a yellow streak in its halo, commemorating European Union Day.

They stopped and he took her hand. "See, now that almost makes me want to stay here."

"I love it, too, but I'd leave it in a second if I could. Maybe go somewhere where I could start over. I realize now that I definitely need a change."

"And just walk away from all this? Why the rush to leave? You still haven't told me why."

"I can't talk about it, really," she said, pulling her hand away. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

"It's okay. I know it must be hard. When you're ready, I'm sure you'll face it head on."

When she didn't respond, they continued their walk. His 'friends' were waiting outside the restaurant and Danny introduced them as Sue and Dave. Danny knew them as Lindsey and Javi.

Javi said he was an accountant and Lindsey a registered nurse. Throughout the evening, Kate rolled with it, although her appetite was D.O.A.

"So, Eric didn't tell us much about you", Lindsey said.

"This guy never does," Javi said.

"So what do you do, Kate? "

She was done talking about her job but to her credit, played along. "I'm a chemist with Frugeré cosmetics," she said with a forced smile. Do I really have to go through this again? In this City, everyone sized up by conversation by how cool a job you had.

"Real glamorous, I bet."

"Not really, I spend most of my time in a boring lab. It's not like I'm invited to any gala events or anything like that. Besides, I have one of those killer bosses. Really, I do," Kate added, nervous that she had been too literal in her assessment and relieved—so she thought—they didn't pick up on it.

"Don't we all," Javi said, laughing. The other two followed suit. "I never wanted to go corporate. That's why I went to med school, but you know what? I found out hospitals are corporate too. You know, bottom line, squeezing you to handle more patients."

"That's why I'm my own boss," Danny cut in.

"Ha!" Javi exclaimed. "Man, you think you are, but we're really all working for the same dude."

"Speak for yourself," said Danny.

The waitress brought their orders. Kate, having declined an entrée, was still picking at her salad while the others dug in.

Javi resumed the conversation, according to script. "Hey," he asked Danny, "Are you still into it?"

"Nope. I'm scaling back. Do other things like work for a living."

"We still like it, in moderation," Lindsey added.

Kate looked intrigued about where 'Dave' and 'Lindsey' were going with this.

Danny glowered at him. "Still walk on the wild side, do you? I don't think so. Not tonight, but thanks."

Javi talked over him and said, "We're gonna' meet our guy after dinner, off of Flushing Avenue."

"Wanna come?" Lindsey asked as a follow up.

Danny rolled his eyes, using the motion to sneak a glance at Kate. "That's a hike and it's walking through neighborhoods I'd rather not—"