Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Seven

“Mail!” Came a cry from the Hufflepuff table.

It echoed down the great hall, stirring Rebecca from her sleepy daze as she leant her head on her arms. She was so glad it was a Saturday. It had been over a week since she’d started at Hogwarts and, in her opinion, she was fitting in well.

“At last,” Luna, who was sitting beside her, cheered. “Maybe my new pendant will arrive.”

Rebecca sat up, looking for her own owl. She spotted Ludwig, silently soaring down from a window. He landed softly on the table, a small envelope in his beak.

“Thank you my dear,” she hummed, kissing the top of his feathery head lightly, taking the letter from him. He hopped up on her shoulder in reply, screeching quietly in her ear.

“That’s sweet,” Luna smiled, tickling Ludwig under his chin. “You’re very close to your owl.”

Rebecca shoved the letter into her checked shirt pocket. “I’ve had him since he was an egg.”

“Really?” Hermione asked from across the table. “Isn’t it terribly difficult to raise an owl chick?”

Rebecca thought back to when he hatched. “I guess. I had teach him to fly, which was hard. But it was worth it.” She tore a piece of bacon up into small strips and fed them to Ludwig, who swallowed them happily.

Ron, who sat opposite her, looked on in horror. “That was perfectly good bacon!” He jabbed a fork in Rebecca’s direction. “Wasted. On an owl!”

The small group of Gryffindors laughed heartily. Hermione’s owl dropped the Daily Prophet onto the table and she quickly picked it up, still amused at Ron.

Harry, who had been late for breakfast, slid into the seat next to her. He went to pick up an egg and ask everyone what was so funny, when the newspaper headline caught his eye.

“Stan Shunpike’s a Death Eater?” He asked in horror.

Hermione looked at him from above the paper and turned to the front page. “Apparently so. Or at least, he’s been arrested for being one,” she said frowning, waving the article under Harry’s nose.

“I’ve heard him boast about ridiculous things, but I really doubt he’d ever join Voldemort.”

Rebecca watched Harry and Hermione from across the table. She smiled inwardly at the mention of Death Eaters. If Harry was shocked about Shunpike, he’d have a heart attack finding out about her. “Listen, guys, I’ll see you at the Quidditch tryouts. I’ve got something to do,” Rebecca excused herself, getting up from the table, Ludwig still on her shoulder.

“Oh God,” Ron moaned from somewhere in his bowl of cereal, “I’d forgotten about tryouts today. You know I’m great Harry, do I really have to prove it?”

Rebecca calmly walked down the Great Hall and out the door, ducking into an alcove nearby. She extracted Ludwig’s talons from her shoulder and held him in front of her, poised and ready to fly. “Ok Luddy, fly this to Draco Malfoy, on the Slytherin table,” she whispered, tucking a small square of paper in his beak.

With a surprisingly almighty force for a bird so small, Ludwig took off from Rebecca’s arm and soared back into the hall, performing a show-off figure of eight before dropping the piece of paper down onto his target.

~

“So, do you like my new top, or not?” Pansy asked, flaunting the black, frilly piece of material.

“Yeah, real nice,” Blaise muttered, in all honesty more interested in the orange juice in front of him than Pansy’s clothing.

“Draco, what do you think?” Pansy asked, liking her lips seductively.