Chapter Six

[A/N: It's not edited... Sorry, I just tried to post it before I left for a week. I also want to let y'all know, that I did start the blog! The link is in the external AND comment section. Check it out. Hope you enjoy!]

Chapter Six

1932

After working at the hospital for almost three years, George got a small promotion. It was enough for the Barnes' to get an apartment in the Rogers' building. They were right next to Ms. Walker, rather Mrs. Thompson since she finally got married last fall. Bucky and Steve were happy, especially since Steve was going to be in high school come autumn. They were going to spend as much time together as they could.

Bucky was already in high school, however, and already had a group of friends.

He walked into the high school courtyard, one hand carrying his books and the other stuffed in his pocket. "Look who it is, fellas! It's Bucky!" Walter Quinn yelled as he walked towards him.

Bucky laughed and shook their hands. "Morning, boys."

"How was your weekend?" Bobby asked.

"It was good. I scoured enough money for Steve and I to go to Coney Island-"

"Steve, that's your neighbor friend right? The kid you watch for his mom?" Walter asked.

Bucky shook his head. "No, Steve's my best friend. Yeah we live in the same building and his mom asked me to keep an eye on him when we first started hanging out years ago, but I hang out with him because I want to."

"But doesn't he have some disease?"

Bucky gave Stanley a weird look and shook his head again. "No, he doesn't have a disease. He just has a weak immune system. It's not his fault-"

"But he's always sick?"

"Guys, it doesn't matter. Steve and I are friends and that's all that matters." Bucky started for the school doors, the other boys following close behind him.

"Is Steve the reason you don't have a girlfriend?" Bobby asked.

Bucky stopped. "That makes no sense, Bob."

"Yeah it does. If you're constantly hanging out with this Steve kid, then you don't have time for a girlfriend. Simple as that."

Bucky raised an eyebrow and shook his head once again. "That doesn't mean anything."

"Do you hang out with anyone else outside of school?"

"Well, no-"

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No-"

"Then you can't prove that Steve isn't the reason you don't have a girlfriend."

If Bucky was being honest with himself, Steve was the reason. Over the past two years, Bucky hadn't even thought of dating a girl. Instead, he dreamed of Steve. Steve holding his hand, Steve laughing at his jokes, Steve kissing him, holding Steve all night long, taking Steve on a date. . . Despite the fact he already does half of these things, Bucky wanted Steve to want to do the same things.

"Whatever," Bucky mumbled as they walked inside the building. "I'll see you guys at lunch." He walked on to his first class, his mind clouded with thoughts.

He really did like Stevie and he did so completely and helplessly. It was to the point that Bucky would do anything just to spend time with him. But he knows that it's not allowed. Boys and boys don't go together. He learned that a couple of weeks ago when the new kid in his class accidentally bumped into another boy in the cafeteria.