Chapter Three

Doctor Jagan was in the lobby setting up and waiting for Nurse Johnson who seemed to be running late.

When he heard the wind chimes that sounded like home he didn't even look up.

"About time. I have been waiting forever," he stated.

"What?"

The familiar voice made his head rise so quick he almost got whiplash.

"Oh uh Miss Mas. How may I help you?

"I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm looking for a job and I was wondering. I mean you said you'd help me out and I-"

"You're hired."

That voice didn't come from the man standing in front of her so she spun around quickly to see the nurse who held her daughter so tight yesterday. She had been a bit jealous but would never be one to admit it.

"Thank you very very much."

"What do you think you're doing?" Jagan asked.

'Mas' felt a bang in her chest. She thought he wanted to help her.

"Helping a patient out."

"Oh no I'm not a patient." She quickly corrected.

"You are now. In order to work here we are going to make a deal. You make us help you and you can work here and make money. "

"What? But," she paused, thinking about her other options which were none really. She didn't want to be too far away from her daughter and they were nice persons

"But what?" Doctor Jagan asked observing her actions.

"Fine. I'll do it. Only for my daughter.

"Yay. Come on sit and have breakfast with us. We don't have any morning patients." Nurse Johnson sang in a singsong tone.

"It's fine. I'm not that hungry."

"Please please please please-"

"She won't stop," The doctor chuckled

"Fine,"Mas gritted her teeth tryig to hold back a smile at the nurses persistent attitude.

"Yay so first thing. If you are going to work for us we need to know your full name," Nurse said biting into her fresh cream cheese'd blueberry bagel.

"Ugh."

She didn't like people knowing her name because they always made fun of her when she was younger. That's why when she left her home country she never looked back.

"Mascina Dominique Hunter."

"Oooh what a pretty name!"

Doctor Jagan gave her a side look and she caught something in his eye but couldn't tell what it was.

He put down his breakfast sandwich and got up and sat beside her.

"Let me see your eyes,"

"Why?" If Mas didn't know any better she'd say it was an excuse to stare into each other's eyes.

Meanwhile doctor was checking Mas,Nurse continued , " Are you from a foreign country? You seem so."

"Yes you could say so but I left when I was seventeen and I'm not going back."

"Where?"

"Is this twenty questions?"

"Maybe."

"Ok that's it. Come on. Show Miss Mas the  ropes and I'll get ready for my first patient," the doctor instructed.

"But we didn't get to twenty yet!" Nurse exclaimed.

"Sanya, go."

"Hey remember who's name is on that sign before yours."

Those were their last exchanged words before she showed me around the secretary desk.

"Oh do you have anything a bit more, how you say,dangerous?" I asked not trying to be a choosing beggar.

"What do you mean?"

"Well I've done security work before. I almost joined the army but I got pregnant. He did it on purpose because he didn't want me to leave. He might be a douche at times but I love him,"she rambled on and on until she realised that she just spilled her life to a stranger.

"Wow. So there's a special someone eh?" Nurse said wriggling her eyebrows.

"Not anymore,"she sighed.

"OK about that request. My husband might be able to help you out. Ever wanted to join the police force of a small town?"

"Really? That would be amazing yes I would love to!"

"No."

We turned around and saw Doctor Jagan standing there.

"Sydny come on what's the matter?"

Everything that came after fell upon hushed ears when Mas let out a boisterous laugh.

"What's so funny?" The doctor asked.

"You're name is Sydny!"

"What's so wrong with that?"

"Nothing nothing."

"Hmph. I don't think you are ready for the police force yet you need treatment first. "

"You don't own me I'll do what I want."

"I'm your doctor I have a say in the activities you can and cannot participate in. You will not join the police force no matter how small the town may be. "

"Can I talk to you for a second brother o' mine?"

"Fine."

They stepped aside leaving Mas there to stare out into space. She was infuriated. How dare he tell her what to do? She was her own person and no one would tell her what she can and cannot do.

They came over shortly after seeming to have agreed on a deal.

"Ok Mascina ,If you are going to join the police force your actions and habits have to be closely monitored to ensure your treatment will not affect you which means you need to stay at either my house or my sister's house. "

She ignored the fact that he called her by her correct name. She ignored the fact that he said the nurse was his sister but she sure as hell didn't ignore the fact that she has to stay at someone's house.

"Hell no. What do you think I am? Some kind of toy? What kind of trap is this?! I'll find some other job and another doctor!!" And with that she stalked off.

***

"Mommy can I go see the lady in the pink clothes. What did you call them againnn?"

"Scrubs. And no."

"Why noooot?"

"Because I said no."

"You always say no."

"Little girl if you don't go sit down and take up your book you're going to get a fine whooping."

"This is why I like daddy better. At least he doesn't shout at me and get upset for nothing. You hate me!"

"Jhonnel get out of my face with that disrespectful attitude and go to your bed!!"

"I hate you too!!" She dared to stomp off even though her mother was in the room. She didn't care anymore. Her mother was being unfair and all she wanted to do was run away,so that she did.

Mas sat on the couch in the crummy,infested  one bedroom apartment she rented. She really needed a job to get on her feet but she's so stubborn. She needs to something about this condition and fast,she thought as she drifted to sleep, before she lost her daughter again but permanently.