Chapter 12

POV: Aidan

~~~~~~~~~

Louis was talking to an agitated Robert. The latter kept trying, in vain, to contact Haley.

"She's still not answering?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "I have to go see her. Right now."

"Okay, alright."

"What about those two?" Louis said.

I glanced at Henry and Charlie inside Martin's office, and took a split-second decision.

"They'll catch up."

"You sure?" Louis said. "I don't think that's a good idea. If Henry finds out before you tell him, he'll make shish kebab out of you."

I half-smiled. "You mean like all the other times he wanted to kick my ass, punch me in the nose, throw me off a building, and various other threats? Don't worry, I'll handle it."

Louis had doubts on leaving without informing the others but Robert's predicament gave him no choice. He worried about his friend. Besides, Vincent was after Charlie. If this was some kind of trap, the last thing I wanted was to bring the kid as a gift to him.

"Alright," said Louis.

I could already imagine how pissed Henry would be. I was deliberately asking for that punch in the nose. At least this way, he would be with Charlie and keep him safe. I understood what the kid was going through but I couldn't handle him directing his anger at me.

A part of me felt responsible for what happened to him. Also, the way I handled the recent situation wasn't charming to say the least. I had to sort things out with him. Later.

When you find someone who makes you a better person, you protect them no matter what. No one would deny Henry made me a better person—especially not Robert and Louis, who'd somehow made the U-turn from bitter rivals to best friends—and that's why I had to leave him. I could handle anything, except Henry getting hurt.

We headed to the location in Robert's Taurus, with Louis at the wheel, and me in the backseat.

Robert almost threw his phone against the dash. "It's not getting through."

"Don't panic," I said, though judging by the glare he sent me that wasn't the best thing to say. "We're on our way."

"Without Henry," Louis reminded me.

"He'll catch up."

"And he'll make shish-kebab out of you."

I half smiled. "You mean like all the other times he's wanted to kick my ass? I'll handle it. Besides, Charlie isn't my favorite kid in the world, but there's no point handing him to Vincent on a plate."

"You reckon it's a trap?" Robert asked.

"Maybe," I replied.

It was almost certainly a trap, but that wasn't a reason not to go for it. We just had to be careful.

***

We reached the scenic campus of Horizon High and parked near a broad, beige building. Colorful flowers and neatly trimmed bushes surrounded the open area in front of the building.

"This is it," Robert said. "Classes are almost done."

Louis glanced at me. "Henry did a number on your face once. Remember that murder case we were on a few months ago? People getting killed during Halloween. It looked like a horror movie. Can't remember why, but you pissed Henry off and he threw a pumpkin at you."