Chapter 18

"How?" Henry asked.

"Believe it or not," Parker replied. "I got a call from him, telling me where he is. Honestly, I don't know how he managed to make a phone call. He might have escaped or something."

"Where is he?"

"I'll show you."

Henry and I followed her to her desk. She brought up the map of the city, and did a location search, pinpointing a building on Parkview Route.

"He's here," she said. "In this building."

"That's oddly specific," Henry said. "How the hell did he get a phone? Vincent must've taken everything he had."

"I don't know. All he said was he didn't have time, and they were coming for him. He gave me his location, then the line cut."

I knew Vincent. The man was thorough, so there was no way he would miss a cellphone on Charlie's person. I found it both surprising and dubious that the kid got away with possessing one, let alone making a call. If not Vincent, then that Ninja Assassin surely would've noticed. Then again, I couldn't discount Charlie's capabilities either. He was smart. It wasn't entirely impossible for him to escape and find a way to contact Parker.

"If Vincent found out he called, they'll take him somewhere else," I said. "We have to go now."

"I'm coming," said a voice behind us.

We turned to see Louis walking to us in his disheveled state. His recent trauma was enough to convince me there was no way in hell I'd risk his life by taking him along. He was recovering, too. He might risk straining himself if he came with us, and the last thing I wanted was to lose another friend.

However, before I could protest, Parker rose to her feet. "I'm coming too."

Like hell. "No, you're not. You're staying here, both of you." I looked at Louis. "It's dangerous. You honestly think I'd let you come in your condition?"

He took a step towards me, his eyes glistening with a silent, simmering anger. I didn't blame him for being furious or vengeful, because I knew I would be too if I were in his shoes, but something about the dark look in his eyes unnerved me. He didn't lash out or let his anger overpower him, even though he had every right to. No, this was a side of Louis I'd never seen before.

The man who had lost and had nothing more to lose.

"I didn't," he said in a low tone. "And I'm not here to debate. I'm here to tell you that I'm coming. There's no point in me sitting around and doing nothing. I want to help you take this guy down, no matter what it takes."

"I can't put your life in danger," I said.

"That's not for you to decide. You'd do the same thing if you were me. I want to make that bastard pay for what he did to Robert, but I'm not blinded by my anger, if that's what you're afraid of. In fact, I see quite clearly."

"We want to help," said Parker. "You can't hold us here. We get to fight for our friend as much as you."

"I want to help save Charlie," Louis added.

Henry didn't like the idea as much as I did, but even he knew we couldn't stop them. He nodded at me to let them come along. As if it wasn't bad enough taking Louis along, dragging Parker into this was a lot worse. She had little experience out in the field. We called her to investigations, and that was it. Never anything dangerous.

"Fine," I said. "On one condition—you follow our lead."

"Okay," said Louis.

This wasn't going well already. Vincent would never let Charlie go without a fight.