sixteen

"It's getting dark out," Scott said, looking up. Florence was on his lap, her face nuzzled in his neck. She hummed in agreement. He had been holding her hands the entire time, long enough for them to stop shaking. She slowly pulled them away, standing up slowly.

"I'm not sure, but I don't think they've left."

"Only one way to find out," Scott said, taking her outstretched hand, standing up next to her. He met her eye level, taking a step back when he saw them.

"What?" She questioned, eyebrows furrowing.

"Your... Your eyes are dark. They're not blue, Florence."

Her eyes widened in confusion. "What?"

Scott walked towards her, ruby sunglasses close to her. "I don't know what color, brown, maybe? But they're not like before, I can barely see your pupil."

Florence hummed in nervousness, pulling Scott out of the garden she made. Approaching the school, Florence saw a classmate and ran up to her.

"Josie!" The girl turned around, eyes widening in panic, having seen from the school what Florence did.

"Can I see that mirror you have? The small makeup mirror," She breathed out, Scott catching up behind her. Josie eyed Scott, then quickly dug into her backpack. Scott noticed the uneasiness of the girl, but Florence didn't seem to notice. Josie held out the mirror, Florence scooping it from her hand and opening the compact, holding it up to her eyes.

"Oh, no," Florence whispered, examining her eyes. They had been a light blue color her entire life, and now they were dark green. She blinked quickly, hoping she was imagining it. When nothing changed, she closed the compact and handed it back to Josie.
"Thanks," she said, and Scott grabbed her wrist lightly, leading her back to the school.

Walking in, Scott led in front of her, leaning towards the hallway of the parlor.

"Flo, they're still there."

She groaned nervously, weighing her options. She realized that at one point, she had to face them. She couldn't hide in her room forever.

"We can go to your room if you want, or I can leave if you want to talk to them.

She bit her lip, thinking.

"You can wait in my room, if you want. I just don't want you to have to hear all of it."

"It's fine, whatever you're comfortable with." He grabbed her hand, squeezing it. Then, he pulled her in, hugging her.

"It'll be ok, Flo."

She smiled, hugging harder. She let go, and Scott backed away, walking towards the staircase. She made her way to the parlor, taking a deep breath before walking in. Her parents were seated across from Charles and Erik, all sitting quietly.
Florence's mother heard the footsteps enter and immediately stood up, facing the door.

"Sit down." Florence said sternly, her anger growing by even just seeing her. Her mother looked hurt, but she saw the plants around the room growing in thickness, and slowly took her seat.
Florence stood next to them. She looked at her dad, thoroughly ignoring her mother.

"Are you my real father, or no?"

Her father hesitated, taken aback by the question. Florence stared impatiently. He eyed his wife.

"Florence, I'm your father. I... am a mutant."

"Was." his wife corrected.

"...Am."