Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Chapter 3

I wake up feeling anxious. It's been like this since I got back home from college: Me waking up way too early and staring at the ceiling while thinking about dad's health before forcing myself to get up and start a new day. It's just that he was always so strong; I can't wrap my mind around how sick he is now. 

How can something eat your life away, rob your energy and your appearance right before your eyes and there's nothing you can do about it?

When I feel my eyes burning, I pull the sheets away from my body and head to the shower. I know I can't keep torturing myself every morning, but when you start seeing no light at the end of the tunnel, it's hard to see hope sometimes.

Argh! I'm not crying! I'm not crying! Everything is going to be fine!

This has been my mantra since I got the news he was sick. This is what has kept me moving on every day. This is what will keep me going today.

Everything is going to be fine!

After having a shower, I put on some cut-off jeans and a bikini top, a loose tank top, and get my flip-flops. As I look at my face in the mirror, I realize how much older I look. I am only twenty-four but somehow my eyes look tired. My hair is longer than I usually wear it and I just don't seem to care. So, I just run a comb through it and head to the kitchen. The last thing I need to care about right now is the way I look.

"Hey, dad." I plaster a smile on my face as soon as I see him standing by the coffee machine.

"Morning sweetie." He hands me a cup, his eyes studying me

"Thanks." I close my eyes as I take a sip of my coffee.

"What are the plans for today? You have the day off, right?"

"Yeah, I'll take Bear for a walk on the beach now and do some laundry later." I take a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Wow, exciting! No hot dates?" I feel his eyes on me, and I scoff.

"Like Bear would allow another man in my life." I look pointedly at him, not hiding my smile.

My dad laughs, and it's music to my ears. "We know that didn't work out as we'd planned, no need to rub it in my face. Bear has a soft spot for anyone who will give him some cookies."

"There's no date, dad. I haven't found my Prince Charming yet." I shrug, and he nods.

"Hmmm."

"I'm going to get going. See you later." I kiss his cheek, all ready to go.

Bear is waiting for me by the door and eagerly follows me out. As I head to the beach, I'm happy to see the sand almost empty. Bear is a softie and loves to play in the water, but he loves to run around too, and sometimes his sense of direction is not so good.

After some time of playing in the water, we decide to play catch. I throw the ball and as Bear goes to catch it, he almost runs over a man.

"Bear!" I rush to apologize, but when I get near him, I stop dead in my tracks.

Wow, this guy is hot. Like seriously hot!

He's tall; maybe 6'2" and I can't help but stare at him. He's barefoot, shirtless, and wearing a pair of dark blue shorts. You can see that he works out by the muscle and definition in his arms and shoulders, and with his longish dark hair and the most beautiful light blue eyes in the world, he's probably the most attractive man I've ever seen.

"Sorry about that," I say shyly.

What the heck? Since when am I shy around a man?

"Is this your dog?" The sound of his voice makes my heart skip a beat.