SEVEN

After her shift, Ximena headed to Monse's house, surprised to see Monse already waiting for her.

The girl was sat still on her steps, cluching her backpack close to her chest.

Ximena rolled her down her window, giving the girl a confused look as she walked towards her, "Hey."

"Hey," Monse opened the door, climbing in, "I was hoping we could go to yours. I just don't want to be home right now."

Ximena simply nodded, feeling the worry radiate from the girl's shoulders.

Trying to lift the mood, Ximena laughed, "Yeah, yeah, it shouldn't be a problem. Jamal and Ruby are out doing God knows what, so we won't have to worry about any interruptions."

"Except Jasmine, of course."

"Of course."

"So, you're telling me that you was supposed to tutoring Cesar, but just ended up getting finger banged in the Santo house," Jasmine's eyebrows came together as her face twisted in confusion.

"Jasmine," Monse lightly slapped the girl's shoulder. The teenagers were currently sitting on Ximena's bedroom floor, face masks on and hair wrapped in plastic.

"What?" Jasmine exclaimed, rubbing over the spot on her arm, "I'm just trying to keep up with all of this."

Monse was about to give her another dlap when Ximena raised her hand, stopping her, "No, she's right. That's exactly what happened."

"So?" Jasmine waited for the girl to elaborate, "How do you feel? You got lady blue balls, don't you?"

"I don't know," the older girl shrugged, not knowing how to explain exactly how she was feeling, "I feel okay, I guess. It's been a while since we've done anything like that, you know?"

Ximena was right. With all of the back and forth between the arguing and the fighting, the couple rarely had any time for sex or even the desire anymore. It felt good to be close to Oscar in that way again.

"Are you guys back together now or what?" Monse asked, her tone stern and serious. Ximena hesitated, but nodded anyway, making Monse groan.

The younger girl never held back on her hatred towards the older Santo. She held him responsible for a lot of things wrong in Cesar's life, rightfully so, and somewhat for Ximena's as well. She wouldn't lie when she said she preferred if he stayed out of Ximena's life. Ximena knew this but decided to ignore the girl's annoyance.

"I love him," Ximena didn't know how else to explain to her girls why she decided to try again with Oscar.

Ximena parked her car in the driveway, grabbing her backpack from the backseat before opening the driver's side door. She locked her car, running a hand through her hair as a figure across her way caught the girl's eye.

She squinted, noticing the man staring back at her.

He wore a black tank to0, similar to what many men around wore, a diamond ctoss hung low on his neck, symbolizing he was from this part of town. Even though his gruel looks were intimidating; the cigarette that he inhaled, the tattoos that covered his body, the mean deameanor he carried, Ximena weirdly didn't feel threatened by him.

He continued to watch her, taking another drag of his cigarette and blowing the smoke. Ximena awkwardly gave him a smile, figuring he was just a veterano. She began walking to the front door, making sure to check over her shoulder to see if he was still looking.

He was.

Ximena knocked slightly on the heavy frost glass door before entering the Santo house, "Oscar?"

"What's up?" The man exited the kitchen, nothing but sweatpants hanging low on his torso. Ximena smiled as he made his way over to her, reaching up to plant a kiss on his lips. He wrapped a hand around her waist, bringing her closer as he deepended the kiss.

"Hey!" The loud slamming of the front door startled the two, making them jump back. Cesar puffed out his chest, as his face began to turn red, "There's a dude posted up outside."

Oscar circled back to the kitchen, grabbing his piece as him and Cesar exited the front door.

Oscar pointed at his brother, screaming from deep within his chest, "Hey, get back inside!"

Ximena and Cesar stepped back onto the front porch as they watched Odcar cock his gun, but, he suddenly froze. He stopped walking and just stood frozen.

"Oscar?" Ximena questioned, her eyes bouncing between the mystery man and Oscar.

"Who is that?" Cesar questioned.

"Our father."

"So, when did you get out?" Cesar smiled as everyone joined in the living room.

Oscar sat spread out, his arm over Ximena's shoulders as Ray continued to look around the house.

The girl knew better and continued to stay silent as the men spoke.

"Yesterday," Ximena noticed that Oscar did look a lot like his father, while Cesar took after their mother. He took after Ray's features in the best way, his dark eyes and bone structure.

"How was the trip down?" Cesar excitedly questioned, straightening up on the couch.

"Long," Ray took another look around, struggling his shoulders, "Looks the same. Even smells the same."

Him and Oscar maintained their eye contact as Ray took a seat. Oscar leaned forward, sliding his father an ashtray as the cigarette continued to burn.

Oscar cleared his throat, adjusting his position to where he his rested on Ximena's lap.

Even though his demeanor was calm, the girl could feel how hot his skin was. But, for some reason, his hand was shaking.

Ray took a drag of his cigarette, pointing over to the youngest son, "You in school?"

"Of course he is," Oscar easily interrupted his father's question, slightly taking offense.

"How about you? Going to college?" Ray taunted.

"Seriously?"

"What about you?" Ximena perked up, not realizing that the question was directed towards her. "You look young."

"Watch it," Oscar warned but Ray scoffed, his question not coming out the way that he had intended.

Cesar tried his hardest to lighten the stiff mood, nodding his head as his hands sat in his lap. "It's nice to see you."

Ray gave the boy a small smile.

"Do you have any plans?"

"No, just wanted to see you guys before heading up to Bakersfield. Got a job lined up."

"Cesar, you need to get to school," Oscar commanded. When Cesar took longer than he should have, his older brother gave him a warning look.

The boy sat up, grabbing his backpack. He flashed a quick wave to his father before standing up and heading towards the door.

Before he exited, he turned around, "Hey, do you maybe, I don't know, wanna hang? After school?"

Ximena's heart felt heavy as the question left the boy's lips but Ray modded his head, "Sure."

"Cool," Cesar couldn't hide his excitement even if he tried. And with that, he left the three alone.

"So where are you staying?" Oscar's hand involuntarily squeezed Ximena's thigh as he sat up.

Ray took another drag of his cigarette, looking his son dead in the eyes, "Here."