NINE

"Ready?"

"Ready."

Jamal quietly opened up the glass door to the restaurant, the two teenagers slowly making their way to the kitchen behind his father's back.

"Two hours late, both of you!" Dwayne shouted, as he turned around, "I thought scheduling you two together would avoid this exact issue."

"But-but-" Jamal panicked, pointing a finger at Cesar, who was sat in the dining area, "he's eating on the job."

"I'm off today!" Cesar defended himself.

Ximena caught a glimpse of Ray, who was across the table from his son. The older man gave her a wave.

"You know what, I don't even want to hear the excuses this time, both of you go get changed!"

"You smell like fresh dick," Jamal's face twisted up as Ximena stripped off her shirt, trading it for her usual uniform.

"Atleast I have an excuse, what's yours?" The girl snapped, tying her long hair into a ponytail.

"You know I have a sweat gland condition!" Jamal explained as his phone began to vibrate inside the locker.

"Who is that?"

"Don't know," he answered, picking it up, "it says unknown number."

"Weird, let it go to voicemail. We have to clock in, dude."

"I can't, what if it's Chivo?"

"Whatever," Ximena rolled her eyes, pushing past Jamal as she began to work.

As she began to take the order of her first table, Jamal and his father both came from the back room.

They continued to scream and argue with one another, Jamal chasing after his father.

"Did you just say I'm fired?!"

"Yes! I'm tired of your privilege!"

"Privilege? My people have been beaten down and oppressed-"

"Beaten down? You are spoiled! Entitled and spoiled, and a terrible employee!"

"Me?" Jamal scoffed, pointing at one of their coworkers, "What about Tammy? You know, she be putting french fries in her bra before she leaves! and Cesar had sex up in here! Ximena and Log-"

Ximena threw her pen at Jamal's face, shutting him up before he could expose anything further.

"Was it in the food area?" Dewayne questioned, giving Cesar a disappointed look.

"No sir," Cesar shook his head.

"Then we're good," Dewayne clapped his hands, "the hardest part about a job, is actually getting one and you need to learn that. Welcome to Dewayne's."

Jamal's father clapped Ray on his back as his son's jaw dropped.
m
"You know what, you're mean! And you can't fire me, because I quit! Come on, Ximena, Cesar. We quit!" "

"No, I don't," the two spoke, reflecting their words.

"Fine!" Jamal stripped off his shirt, throwing it at his father's chest, "I'll see you at home!" "Love you!"

As the afternoon rush ended, Ximena circled back to Cesar's table.

"Can I get you guys anything else?" She placed her hands on her hips.

Ray shook his head, "Nah, I'm full. Haven't had food this good in years."

"Yeah," Cesar chuckled, looking up at the girl, "we're okay."

"Alright," she smiled, clapping her small hands together, "not trying to kick y'all out but, we do need the booth."

"No problem," Cesar nodded his head, realizing how busy they had gotten.

Him and Ray had been sitting in the same spot for hours, catching up on all of the years he had missed out on.

"I'm going to have a cigarette," Ray groaned, pulling out his pack, "just meet me outside."

The two watched him exit out the front door, Ximena placing a hand on Cesar's shoulder as she began to walk away.

"Wait, Ximena," Cesar called.

"What's up?"

"What was Jamal talking about before? You and Logan?"

Ximena's heart sunk to her stomach as Cesar's eyes stared back at her.

She cleared her throat, looking around for Dwayne before sliding into the booth across from Cesar.

Her fingers tapped against the wooden table, trying to find the right words to explain.

"It's alright, you know I know you guys got pretty close before everything went down, and I'm the last one to judge," Cesar gestured to himself, sitting up straight.

"It's not like that! Seriously, I-you know I would never do anything to hurt your brother, it was just-"

"Dude, relax," Cesar held out his hands, "a couple of rides home and some flirting isn't that big of a deal, for real."

Ximena paused, letting out a shaky laugh.

"You're good, seriously. You and Oscar were on a break."

"Yeah," Ximena's foot wouldn't stop shaking from underneath the table.

"We still on for tutoring tomorrow? I have my midterm this week," The boy stood up from the booth.

"Mhm," Ximena nodded her head, the lump in her throat growing.

Why couldn't she just tell him the truth? That she had slept with Logan? She didn't feel this much guilt and embarrassment when she had actually done it? But now, everyone seemed to be involved, and she had just met Oscar's dad, let alone slept him with again.

Ximena's head began to throb as she watched Cesar exit the restaurant.