Chapter 65

Doug sat silently in the dark, in what had until very recently been Thor Massino's chair. He was contemplating his next move. He imagined every possible eventuality. Considered every strategy that maximized his outcome—no matter what turn of events occurred. It was mid-afternoon in China. He had given Xi Liu plenty of time to present the situation to China's president. If they didn't call back soon, Doug was going to have to start making phone calls; other groups might not pay quite as well, but they would still get the job done.

The phone rang.

"Hello," Doug said with supreme confidence. No "ni hao" this time. They were calling him.

"Ni hao, Mr. Kensington."

"So?"

He was tired of bending over backwards with politeness. He knew this would rub Mr. Liu the wrong way, and he no longer cared. If they didn't want Gaia anymore, then fuck them. China was a pawn in Doug's chessboard, not the king. It was about time they got the message.

"I have presented the news."

"And?"

"We have, concerns."

"About?"

"We need proof."

God, this was so tedious. Doug had half a mind to hang up.

"What do you have in mind?"

"We will give you a name. If you can do what you claim, we have a deal."

"I'm not interested in the deal anymore," said Doug.

Xi Liu scoffed.

"I am confused. Is this another of your American games?"

It was time to use one of his favorite strategies.

"No. Before, we were talking about one kind of weapon. Now we are talking about another, much more powerful weapon. Certainly you don't imagine I am still interested in the original figure we discussed."

Squeeze and twist.

"Is this what you like to call a 'bait and switch'?"

"It seems like you know more about these things than I do, Mr. Liu."

"Very well. If you can provide sufficient evidence, I have been authorized to double our offer."

"Triple."

"I am not authorized—"

"Triple."

"Fine. Triple."

Doug smiled. It was too easy.

"Give me the name."