Should Have Been the Perfect Night

I sit at the small table for two at the restaurant alone. My bright red dress glowing in the dark room of the restaurant. The dangling lights and soft violins playing was romantic, but I didn't think I would be by myself. Once five minutes past since I was supposed to be here, I was starting to loose hope that he would show. Him. The love of my life, the man of my dreams, the one person who is always there for me.

I take my phone out of my purse that was seated under my chair and turn it on. I flick through my phone and land on the text messages, clicking on his name. Steven Yeun. I start to text, 'Hey, I'm here and I've been here for 10 minutes...where are you?'. I send the message and set my phone down, just to receive a text seconds after.

I pick it up to see an amber alert notification that reads 'Semi-truck collides into white chevy cruise on highway 64 causing car to flip five times into a ditch. Semi-truck driver was drunk at the time. Highway temporarily closed until further notice.'

I begin to grow nervous, so I grab my purse and head for the door. "My date never showed up, so I'm just gonna go" I say opening the door.

"Im sorry to hear that...come back soon" the server women says. I nod and walk out, grabbing my keys out of my purse. I unlock my car and get in resting my head back on the seat.

"Ok let's think about this...he's late, he won't answer his texts, he drives a white..." I begin, not wanting to finish. I let out a quiet sigh, trying not to let my emotions ad superstitions get the best of me. I flip through the contact list on my phone, landing on June Yeun, Stevens mother. Before I could even click on her name to call her, my call screen popped up and she had beaten me too it. "Hello?" I ask.

"Lauren? Oh my god Lauren. Steven he...he's been in very bad accident" she says with an accent sounding Korean and her English wasn't the best. "The ambulance takes him to mercy hospital now, but...he's not doing well." She says, weeping though the phone, making it even harder to understand.

I take a deep breath trying to hold my emotions in over the phone. "O-ok I'm on my way..." I say hanging up the phone. As soon as I click the red button I burst into tears. This can't be happening. The love of my life might be gone and I'll never get to see him ever again.

I take a deep breath and wipe my tears away, trying to calm down. I put my car into drive, sniffling my nose. I start down the street, making my way into traffic. I wait at the light, growing impatient. "Come on!" I yell at the light, wanted the red color to turn green. The transition from those two colors gave me a relieved feeling and I quickly drove, getting onto the highway.

~~~~~~~~

As I walk though the main doors of the hospital so much is going through my mind. 'Is he ok? What room is he in? Are they giving him surgery? What is going on?'. As I approach the front desk a lady with short blond hair is already ready to help me out.

"How can I help you ma'am?" She asks, a pen in her hands.

"Uh yes...hi um...I'm sorry I'm just in a awkward state of mind right now" I state, running my fingers through my hair. The women gives me a look of empathy that I know she doesn't mean. "Do you know where I can find Steven Yeun?" I ask.

"Let me take a look in my computer" she says beginning to push keys on the computer. She moves her hand to the mouse and begins to scroll, taking longer than I would like. I begin to tap my foot and cross my arms. 'I need to know where he is right now' I think.

"Ah here we are, Steven Yeun" she says. "He was just put in room 207 in the ICU" she says looking up at me, acting as if everything was ok.

"ICU..." I say, my words trailing along with my mind. I shake my head in disbelief. I move a hand up to my forehead and lightly rub along my hair line. "Can I see him?" I ask.

"Of course ma'am, what's your relation to him?" She asks looking back up to me, her fingers still positions on the keys.

"I'm his girlfriend" I stare confidently loving having that title. Ever since I joined The Walking Dead back in 2011 I knew that Steven was the love of my life. Not just because we lay lovers on the show, but because we grew so close. He was the first to actually get to know me and he took me out to lunch the day I got to set. He was the sweetest person ever.

"Ok..." the women says. "Say...don't you look familiar?" She asks, furrowing her brows, trying to think of who I could be.

"You might recognize me from The Walking Dead...I play Maggie" I state.

"Ah! Love the show sweetheart!" She says excitedly. "Well enjoy your time with Steven" she says, smiling.

I nod. 'Fun?' I ask myself. "Thank you so much" I say, meaning every word. I was nervous to see him, of course I was. I didn't want to see him looking any different than he usually does, especially if it's in a bad way.

I reach the elevator and push the up button. I look at a sign telling me what floor room 207 was on and it read floor 14. I groan knowing it was going to take me a long time to get up there. The elevator doors open and a large crowd of people come flooding out causing me to step backwards.

Once the people clear out I get into the elevator and click the now glowing button that reads 14. After about 5 minutes of going up, stopping to pick people up and continuing to go up I finally made it to the ICU.

As I walk through the two large swinging doors all I can smell is death. Maybe not death, but cleaning supplies and weird medications, but I feel death. People in here are dying of cancer and disease, but Steven is dying all because of a drunk driver.

Tonight would have been the perfect night. We would have had a nice dinner, then we would have gone back to my place, most likely. We would have changed into come comfier clothes and cuddled on the couch watching a movie, but now all that's ruined because of someone else's stupid decisions.

As I walk through the halls of the ICU I repeat Stevens room number in my head. '207, 207, 207...' I don't even notice the pain in my feet from wearing my heals because I'm too focused on getting to him. I'm looking at each sign as I continue to walk. '205, 206, 207..."

I take a deep breath as I grab the door handle and as I exhale I feel as if I'm drowning. Drowning in my own nerves. I pull the handle down and push the door open. I burst of cold air reaches my skin and I see him.

*Whoop guys what do you think of the first chapter? I worked really hard on it so if you could give me some feedback that would be amazing!
QUESTION: How do you think Lauren will react in the next chapter?
Comment your answer in the comment section!