Fourteen

Breakfast was something new to Cadence

Breakfast was something new to Cadence. She ate when she was able and most times she didn't eat at all. So having plates and played full of food made her mouth water so much she brought her hand self consciously to wipe away any excess drool that may have came out of her mouth.

Cadence snapped out of her daze when she realized that the noisy room she'd walked into was now silent. When Cadence took the time to look around, she became painfully aware that everyone was staring at her. Swallowing the lump that formed in her throat, she raised her head and narrowed her eyes. She wouldn't show them that she was afraid.

"Cade! Come on or we won't get any food!" Joey tugged her arm and she broke the stare off she had been having with the pack members to stare at Joey. Was he really oblivious to what just happened? Cadence didn't have the time to think on it, the moment Joey handed her a plate he began to fill her plate with a good portion of everything. Cadence knew she was hungry enough, but also knew that even still she wouldn't eat it all.

After finding a table and practically being shoved into it, Cadence the time to look around. She still hadn't seen the Alpha, Jake or Isabeth since she made her way downstairs. "Do you want to play outside with me after breakfast?" Joey asked distracting Cadence from her thoughts.

Cadence smiled to Joey, "of course." At her agreement Joey practically vibrated in his seat with excitement. Cadence laughed at his excitement, while turning her attention to the mountain of food.

By the time Cadence was finished she didn't finish half of what she had. Cadence felt horrible for wasting it, but she couldn't eat another bit. When Joey finished they rose from the table and left the dining room. Cadence was beyond relieved to leave the room they was still filling with pack members. She didn't feel comfortable and she continued to stiffen each and every time someone had walked behind her.

"How are you liking the pack so far?" Joey asked, giving Cadence hand a squeeze. He had always wanted a sister and to him that was Cadence.

Cadence frowned unsure how to answer that without lying. "It's new. I'm not used to a lot of people." Cadence grimaced. She wasn't used to any people. Well except for Mac.

Joey nodded, shrugging his shoulders. "You will love it here once you get used to everyone." He had said it so confidently that Cadence could tell he actually believed that. Did he forget she was a rogue? "For now I will show you around, so you won't get lost!"

Cadence opened her mouth, prepared tell him that she wasn't staying when she suddenly bounced off of something hard and was sent backwards on her butt with an 'omph.' Cadence quickly looked up to see what she had run into and nearly shrunk back.

The thing she'd run into wasn't an object, but a person and a mighty big one at that. The man looked mean and was nearly as tall if not taller than the Alpha. Cadence wanted to run away, but the cold way he stared at her had her rooted to her spot.

"Cade are you okay?" Joey asked, holding her arm. When she took her eyes from the man she felt instantly bad for making Joey worry. The boy has been through enough.

Cade up and smiled reassuringly at Joey. "I'm fine Joey."

Joey frowned, sit hanging onto her arm. "But your bleeding."

Cadence looked to her arm and noticed that she was indeed bleeding. "A small scratch.."

"Apparently you rogues are more uncivilized than I thought. Don't even have manners." A voice said with disgust.

Cadence turned her attention back to the giant in front of her and narrowed her eyes. Did he not see that she was consoling Joey? To her that was more important.

"I watched you Malic you just stood there. You could have moved." Joey defended, glaring at the bigger male.

"Joey you've gotten a mouth on you since she came. She is obviously a bad example on you." The man that Cadence now knew as Malic said with clear disgust and disapproval all over his face.

Cadence would have spoke up, but couldn't as she was quickly silenced by the rising murmurs of agreement from the surrounding pack members. They all looked at her the same. Like she was a disease. She could see and feel Joey's anger at their words, but rather than feel better about at least one person defending her and getting upset for her, she felt sad. She was putting Joey at odds with his pack and she never wanted that. Cadence put her free hand over Joey's and when he turned to look at her she shook her head.

"Don't fight with them because of me." Cadence said softly, hating the sadness and betrayal of her control.

The surrounding pack members continued to throw insult after insult and just when Cadence was sure they were about to beat her or kill her the Alpha and Jake appeared.

*
*

Double update!!!!!