Chapter 9- The Gangster Boys

That night I lay in a restless heap, tossing and turning. My thoughts all puzzling over many things but the main subject seeming to revolve around Drew. Sometimes, I get the feeling that he’s honest with me, but then is he really the type to play someone? Who was that girl, clinging on to him so freely? I huff as I throw the covers off of my agitated body and peel myself from my comfortable mattress.

                My feet touch the cold wooden floor as I pad over to the door, opening and shutting it quietly as I make my way to Lucy’s room. The little girl’s bedroom is dark and quiet with only her soft breathing as a melody as I walk over to her crib. I caress the sleeping angel’s soft cheek, watching her sleep bringing me some unexplainable sense of comfort. I head over to the corner of the room, where the rocking chair sits illuminated by the eerie glow of the moon streaming in through the window.

                Lowering myself slowly quieting the slight whine it causes, I manage to plop down without major incident. In other words, I didn’t wake up a sleeping Lucy because a tired Lucy is a grouchy baby. I begin to rock myself slowly, keeping watch over the crib, and slowly releasing my mind from thundering thoughts.

                What could Adrian have possibly meant, how could I be important to the situation? He spoke as if he knew what he was talking about, yet, what could he know that I don’t? Lately, it’s been as if I’m all alone in this thing, I don’t know if my brother really does have my back sometimes. It’s as if we’ve drifted apart, could so many years cause such a great change in our relationship?

                Kohl and I had been inseparable when we were younger. He used to be the guy that warned any guy away from me. He used to be the epitome of the overprotective and annoying brother. We were in middle school around the time he was sent away, before our parents died shortly after. I guess blowing up the mayor’s car will do that to you, yes, he blew it up. The mayor’s son had been bothering me for quite a while then, Kohl made a complaint at one of the town’s meetings. When nothing changed he took matters into his own hands.

                If anything were to happen, could I really count on Kohl?

                A haunting melody begins to reach my ears as I mull over so many things. That melody, it must be imagined, something so beautiful seeming quite unreal. I know the tune but it’s as if something in my brain won’t allow me to identify it. My rocking slowly comes to a halt as the tune begins to ring clearly. The more it registers within my brain, the more haunting it becomes. I slowly exit my baby’s room, quietly shutting the door as I follow the nostalgic melody.

            Laughter rings in my ears as Kohl chases me around with a bucket of earthworms, trying desperately to dump it on me. My brown locks bounce as I run around mom’s coveted garden, I listen carefully to Kohl’s resounding footsteps follow behind me none too quietly, never one to succeed in being sneaky. I try to hide my laughter as I hurry my way around my mom’s precious willow tree, leaving the safe shade of the hanging leaves.

                I come to a halt as I bump into an imposing figure, I look up the tall, muscular frame up to those familiar brown locks and smiling brown eyes that contradict the face he’s trying to pull. My father tries to glare down at me but his eyes give him away, they always do. His dress shirt rolled up his sleeves, his tie loosened, his attire confirms he just got back from work.

                “Is Kohl bothering you again?” he crosses his arms over his chest, desperately trying to give off the vibe as the authoritative figure. I look up innocently as I quickly shake my head. If I snitched on Kohl, I’d have to tell him how I started this whole thing by shoving his face in a mud puddle.