Chapter 31: The Witch

Apparently, behind the suburbs, way in the back, were woods. It took Ryan and me fifteen minutes to reach them. The old, yellow and brown leaves rustled in the wind as the sounds of dead, weak trees creak at every push the wind gave. There was a small creek in the distance. The air smelled like pinecones and wet wood.

As we walked, Ryan tried his best to reach every high branch that he saw. "I bet I can reach this one," he said each time but always missed.

I held in my urge to laugh. I still felt bad about what had happened during recess. "How come you brought me here?"

"Don't worry," he said. "I won't beat you up and leave your body, if that's what you were thinking."

I shook my head. "I wasn't thinking that at all." He didn't reply. "Ryan, I'm sorry for what I said. I understand that I jumped to conclusions."

He smirked. "My best friend and I use to come to these woods every day." He stopped walking and faced me. "His name was Pranav. We came out here to hike and explore. He died last year in a car accident. That kid in the hallway, the one I slammed against the locker, told me Pranav would have still been alive if he had never met me."

I stared at him, not knowing how to reply. He shook his head and looked at the ground. "Who says stuff like that? These kids like to test me, but when I stick up for myself they call me the bully."

I looked at him. "I'm sorry, Ryan. I really am. Maybe you should just try to ignore them instead."

He frowned at me. "That doesn't work," he said and continued walking.

We walked until we reached the end of the creek. Next to it, hidden behind the bushes, rested a small tipi built from sticks, bamboo, and long pieces of wood. It looked like something the Native Indians would have lived in. There was a wooden sign at the bottom that read: Pranav and Ryan's Clubhouse.

 There was a wooden sign at the bottom that read: Pranav and Ryan's Clubhouse

"We made it," Ryan said. "Together. There are some pictures of us inside, car tires for sitting, and lots of cool stuff we found down by the creek."

"Looks neat!" I said. It truly was impressive.

He went inside and I followed behind him. The inside smelled like bamboo. It wasn't spacious inside, plus it was hard to see anything. He grabbed a few pictures that rested on the ground. "This is Pranav." He handed me the pictures. I had to step near the light to see the pictures better. "He was pretty awesome and one of the smartest kids in class. He was from India," Ryan said.

"That's awesome," I said, flipping through the pictures of him and Pranav. I handed them back to him. Before we exited the clubhouse, both of us heard a twig snap. I froze. "What was that?"

Ryan walked out first, grabbing my hand along the way. "It's probably the witch. Pranav told me a witch used to roam around here wearing a dark cloak that hid her black and blue face. Since the death of the witch's daughter, she hunts the woods in search for a new daughter."

My face lit up like fire when he smiled. I began to walk away and he chased after me. "I was just kidding," he said. I wasn't having it. The last thing I needed was another problem to worry about.

"I'm going home," I said.

"Wait, I'm coming with you," he said. Halfway home, he stopped me. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd scare that easy."

"Well, I scare very, very easy," I replied and continued walking. He followed behind me. The rest of the way, he had changed the subject and talked about how his stepdad would be going away for the weekend and how the school dance was coming up.

"Will you go?" he asked.

"When is it?"

"Next week. Please come," he said.

"I'll think about it," I said.

We said our goodbyes when we got to my house. I walked inside to see Katherine pouring my mother a glass of wine. I disliked seeing Mother drink. My mother tried to hide it, but she was too late. I closed the door and threw my backpack from over my shoulder.

"How was school, Violet?" Katherine asked.

I looked at my mother. "Soccer was fun. The coach said I did a great job."

"Good," my mother said. "The girls and I are going out tonight, and we need you to babysit."

I scowled at her. "How long will you be out? I have to study."

"We won't be gone long," Katherine said, playing with a strand of my mother's hair while looking at me. She creeped me out and I didn't think she was the type of company my mother needed.

"Fine," I said, then headed for my room. I opened the door to see April sitting on my bed, staring blankly at me. "What are you doing in here?" I asked her.

"I want to play a game," she said in a monotone.

"What game?" I asked, sitting down next to her. As soon I sat down, the door slammed.

"Stop slamming doors, Violet," someone yelled. That someone outside the door sounded a lot like April. A chill ran down my spine when I heard April singing from behind my door. If she was out there, then who was sitting next to me?

I looked back and she was gone. However, when I faced another direction, there she was. The April look alike. In an impossible speed, she grabbed my head and whispered two chilling words in my ear. "You're dead," she whispered. She dropped me to the floor before vanishing a second later.

My door opened and I saw April standing there. She began to laugh. I stood up and looked at her the whole time, frightened and afraid. I wished I wouldn't have to babysit that night. I wished my mother would take me with them instead.