Chapter 39: Planning with Abby

Mr. Harmon sat alone in the kitchen of his mansion. A framed picture of his daughter and wife rested in front of him. He smiled at the photo and each time he talked he couldn't seem to keep his hand off of his face. "I'm not a bad person, but you both constantly look at me as the bad guy," he said, staring at the picture. "Maybe I haven't been the best husband or father, but I'm trying to give you both the world. If you would let me."

He sighed, then abruptly hit the table. "Why me?" He looked up. "Am I really this horrible person?"

No. You're doing your family a favor. This world is disgusting. You have to save them. There were those voices again. He would hear them often. 

"I'm killing people," he added. "I'm just not sure...if I want-"

Don't worry. Your sacrifices are doing people a favor. Never will they have to experience tragedy, death, sadness, or anything that was in the worldly life again. 

He squeezed his eyes shut. "I'm ruining my daughter's life."

When she joins you, then she will realize that you are trying to save her life. That you are trying to give her eternal life. Mr. Harmon, this book is the remedy to life. You're too hard on yourself. Mr. Harmon sat straight up when he felt two cold hands fall on his shoulder. From the corner of his eye, he could see two black wrinkled hands with long claws. It wasn't his first time seeing those hands. He would see them almost everywhere. In the mirror, on the walls at night, at the edge of his bed, resting on tree trucks and clawing at the bark. However, he doesn't remember the face or if he ever had seen a face.

He breathed calmly as the hand rested on his shoulder. You can't stop now. Think of everything you worked for. Violet and your wife are only a few more trials and tribulations away. Together, you all will have more than what this world offers. The voice said.

Mr. Harmon felt the pressure of the hands leave him. He looked around but saw nothing. He nodded his head and looked at the picture. "Violet, just a few more trials, honey," he smiled.

***

"How are you going to make Liz and Desiree join us?" Ryan asked Abby.

They were outside on the playground. It was the only time Abby could appear around other teachers and students. She looked like she was a regular school girl. However, Abby never took her full appearance around Ryan. Her eye color, face structure, and hair would change to her liking, and Ryan never noticed.

"We have to attack them when they're most vulnerable," she walked over to the swing and sat on it. "When a person reaches their breaking point, hope is all they have. Get me?"

Ryan joined her and sat down on one swing. "Yeah, I get you. Was that why it was so easy to get me? Cause I was vulnerable?"

She nodded. "Yeah. But being vulnerable is okay in this situation."

Ryan thought before he asked his next question. "Were you vulnerable?"

Abby looked up at the sky and kicked her legs back and forth. "Yes. I've seen a lot of things, Ryan. Things that I will never unsee. I think I deserve a little happiness from now on and you do too. We'll be so happy, all of us, that we will forget everything we went through," she said.

Ryan started to wonder about her life. What did she go through that made her reach her limits? What are the limits a person has to reach to end someone's life, or in her case, sacrifice them? "So," he faced her. "How do we break them?"

She pointed at the grass where people would often sit to read or sit down with a group of friends. There sat Mariel, Liz, and Violet. "Mariel, she's our target."

"Mariel? How will she help us?"

"We have to kill her, of course."

Ryan nearly fell off of his swing. "What!" He shouted.

Abby stood up. "Relax. I'm going to bring her back from the dead of course."

"You can do that?" He asked.

"Why not? I have power," she responded. "Look, once she's dead, the girls will go into major depression. However, we're going to make it look like a suicide and that it's their fault that she committed suicide."

Ryan stared at her. "Excuse my french, but isn't that fucked up? I don't usually curse, by the way."

"Yes," Abby raised her hands in the air dramatically. "It's very fucked up. Like the world, we live in. Remember our goal, Ryan. We get to Liz, we get Desiree, we bring back Mariel, then we amaze your girlfriend and she'll want to be apart of this amazing experience."

"Girlfriend?" He started to blush. "She's not my girl-"

"Right, whatever you say," Abby chuckled. "But you see my plan, right?"

Ryan smiled. "It's not so bad, actually. As long as we can bring Mariel back."

Abby hugged him. "Exactly, we're not so fucked up after all."

"Hey, I think that's enough swearing," Ryan admitted. "It doesn't sound right coming from middle schoolers."

Abby nodded. "Okay, Ryan. You can run off to your girlfriend. I'm going to make plans on how we can fake like it's the girl's fault. You just go enjoy yourself." Abby smiled.

Ryan smiled back. "Thanks, Abby. See you later." Abby watched him run over to the girls. She kept her eyes on Mariel. The perfect plan slowly eased into her mind. 

***

While everyone was at school, Abby took a look into Mariel's home. In her room, she rummaged through Mariel's closet and dressers looking for it. Looking for Mariel's deep and darkest secrets. Abby finally found what she had been looking for hidden underneath Mariel's mattress. A diary. She opened it, and the first page was the start of her new plan.

"Dear diary, I told Desiree about Robby. It was the first time I ever told someone about who I liked. I trust her with every bone in my body." Abby smiled, then put the diary back and left Mariel's house.

*Not everyone knows, but I'm sorry for slow updates. From now I have to use Voice to text. It's a headache and I'm afraid that I make a lot of mistakes with that one. I can't type anymore at the moment. I have carpel tunnel and I'm working on easing the pain. I definitely can't type because it makes things worse. So, I'm working with the voice to text. Sorry for any mistakes, point them out! Thanks for being patient!*