Music. ✨

[ Video & Photo available ]

As salamu alaykum! I'm going to be writing about how I left listening to music!

Firstly, I used to listen to music a lot!

I had over 1000 songs on my laptop and phone and would listen to them every single day, every single moment I had free time...when I was laying down, doing homework, having a shower, going on walks, cooking, driving, or just in my spare time.

Basically there wasn't a single day that went past where I wouldn't listen to at least one song. Astaghfirullah.

Mid last year (2016) I began researching my religion.

I read a quote that said;
Do not inherit your religion, learn it.

After that I realised how little I knew about Islam even though I was born and raised a Muslim.

So I began from watching YouTube videos of scholars and sheikhs and after that moved on to reading the hadith books from sunnah.com

During this time, I was still listening to music

During this time, I was still listening to music. I didn't even know it was haram to do so.

Time went on and I began to know more and more about my religion. I started falling in love with my religion after so many years of blindly following it.

If there's one thing I advise you to do it is to research your religion.

Anas ibn Malik reported:
The Messenger of Allah ‫‬ said, "Seeking knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim."

Source: Sunan Ibn Majah 224
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani

So after seeking knowledge, I began to find hadith's regarding music.

And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech [idle talk] to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment.
Qur'an | Surah Luqman, verse 6.

Regarding the above verse;
"And of mankind is he who purchases Lahu Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah" Ibn Kathir said in his tafsir, "This [idle talk] by Allah -- refers to singing.''

Allah also says;
"Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur'an)?
And you laugh at it and weep not,
Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)."
Qur'an | al-Najm 53:59-61

Regarding music being haram there are also many sahih hadith.

In a narration in Ibn Majah
The prophet said:
"A people of my Ummah will drink wine, calling it by other than its real name. Merriment will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and the singing of female singers. Allah will cleave the earth under them and turn others into apes and swine."