Chapter 5

Calla Stewart's POV

Mr. King's gaze bore into me. I was probably annoying him with my silence, but I wasn't sure how I was supposed to answer his questions. There were some things that you didn't share with your terrifying boss, and this was one of them.

I fidgeted with my fingers and looked at the ground, but decided to just voice my thoughts, "I'm not sure what you want me to say, sir."

"I want you to answer my questions, Ms. Stewart," he said pressing further.

"I don't really feel comfortable with that Mr. King, I think that I should get back to work," I said, somewhat standing up to him.

I turned away from him, preparing to leave when he spoke again in a serious tone, "I just want to make sure that you're okay, Calla."

I took a deep breath and met his eyes, "I'm okay"

And that was the truth.

Because I was better now, compared to how I used to be, and in my books that was definitely okay.

So with that, my boss was back to his usual, rude self and he silently chucked a folder to the corner of his desk for me to take.

*-*-*-*

Hunter King's POV

Calla left the room, presumably going back to her desk to work on the documents I gave her.

I wanted to get to the bottom of whatever made her the way she is. Perhaps it was how innocent she seemed that made we want to know what happened; made me wonder who or what had made her so fragile. No matter what the reason was, I wasn't going to think too deeply about it. I always went with my instincts and right now they were telling me I could help her somehow.

I spent the next hour or so sorting through files and signing papers that had been left on my desk for me. There were multiple stacks sitting across my desk, ready to be taken to whatever department they needed to go to.

I shuffled the papers I was currently looking at together and tapped the bottoms against the desk, aligning them into a neat pile. I set them aside and looked over my desk once again. There was always something for me to do.

I began moving things around, trying to achieve some better organization when my phone beeped and Calla's voice came through, "Mr. King, someone has dropped off a package for you. Would you like me to bring it in?"

"Of course. Bring it here," I responded.

Ten seconds later a knock sounded at the door and she stepped in only after I had given my grunt of acknowledgment. She was carrying a small, nondescript cardboard box and she set it on my desk.

Ah, it came. I had ordered this over the weekend and made sure to use the quickest shipping option.

Calla was already walking towards the door, assuming she could leave. "Ms. Stewart, I don't recall dismissing you. Take a seat, this has to do with you," I said.

She didn't say a word, simply sat in one of the chairs in front of my desk. She quickly looked down at her lap and played with her fingers. From what I had observed of her, she probably thought she was in trouble right now.

I grabbed a pair of scissors out of my desk drawer and began slicing the tape holding the box closed. Within it was the box of the newest iPhone. Picking it up, I placed it across from me on my desk, right in front of my assistant.