Chapter 17

Hunter King's POV

"It isn't nothing, Calla. You don't need to be afraid of what you say to me," I said genuinely.

She froze in her spot, the discomfort she was feeling completely left her face and was quickly replaced by anger.

I watched in disbelief as her face twisted up into an angry scowl and her lips pursed in preparation before word after word was flung at me in frustration.

"Yes, I do!" she exclaimed.

"I may have forgiven you for what you did, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to forget," she ranted, "You don't get to treat me like you did and then move on as if nothing happened. You don't know me! And the little you do know about me you forced me to tell you by threatening me."

"I know-" I tried to interrupt, tried to explain that I knew exactly how badly I fucked up.

But she bulldozed right over me, "You only treat me the way you do because you feel guilty. You pity the girl who's dad beat her so you act nice, while you acted the exact opposite before you knew. Why shouldn't I be afraid of what I say to you? Why should I trust you? I have no reason to. I'm obligated to be around you because you force me to live in a certain place and for you to drive me all in the name of my 'safety' when I don't even know you. But I can't say anything because you're my boss and you hold all the power in my life right now. I don't owe you the reasoning behind my thinking just because you forced your charity on me. You don't get to pretend like you care why I'm upset, because the only reason you ask is to make yourself feel better," she yelled at me in frustration, gasping for a breath between sentences as each word was sent to stab at my conscience.

"Every moment I'm around you I'm waiting for you to yell at me, to get upset with me, but instead you try to act like you were never like that at all," her breathing started to become shallower, "I-I can't even relax when I'm away from you b-because I'm too busy worrying about everything that I said to you that day and what's going to h-happen the ne-next," Calla forced out as she began to panic in front of me.

I was shaken from my state of disbelief as concern took over. "O-oh... my god," she struggled to speak between her short breaths, "Why d-did... I say... that? M-Mr. King... p-please... I'm so sorry."

Calla's erratic breathing cut off her speech and fat tears ran down her face. I wanted to go over and help her but I didn't want to make things worse. Her eyes were darting around unfocused, looking for anything to support her. She covered her face with her hands and let out loud sobs between sharp breaths. 

"P-please help me," she wailed.

I felt an overwhelming sense of urgency as she let out those words and rushed to her side. I opened the door she was trying to yank open only moments ago and gently guided her into the seat.  I crouched down next to her and held her hand in mine. Words left my mouth without me even thinking about it, "It's alright Calla, you just need to try to breathe," I said calmly, "I'm not mad at you, you don't need to worry," I added, feeling like she needed to hear it. 

I almost felt like crying myself at how much she was panicking. Did my presence cause her this much stress? I just wanted to make her feel better. 

"Focus on me, Calla," I stated, trying to keep my tone soothing, "Let's try to work on breathing." 

She nodded before launching into another stretch of hyperventilating. I squeezed her hand in mine, my heart broke at the sight of her. "Breathe with me Calla," I said before taking a deep breath in through my mouth and letting it out through my nose. 

I continued demonstrating, hearing Calla try to change the pace her lungs were working at. Her other hand still covered her face and she curled in on herself in the seat, "I c-ca...can't breathe."