Chapter 9: Wake up!

Noah stopped the car again.  I slipped my phone from my pocket and found Ashley in my contacts before pressing the call button.  I glanced at Noah and he was watching me intently and I quickly looked away, nervously chewing on my finger nails.  “What’s up, baby doll?” She answered.

I did my best to calm my voice, “I need you to do me a little favor.” I forced a small laugh.

                      “Anything for my soul mate.” I could hear the smile in her voice.

                “There’s a sales person at Noah’s and he won’t go away.  Could you come here and pretend you live here and get rid of him?”

There was a pause.  “Why can’t Noah do it?”

I had to think quick, “Uh, we have to go pick Alex up.” I lied.

                “Okay, I’ll take care of him.” She cheered and hung up.

I closed my eyes and let go of the breath I was holding.  “She’s coming.”  I turned my head to catch Noah’s gaze, his blue eyes still watching me, occasionally dropping to my lips when I spoke.  “He won’t do anything to hurt her, would he?”

He shook his head, “Not out in the open.”

He tore his eyes away from mine and started driving again.  I wasn’t about to put Ashley is danger; maybe I should have listened to him.

                We pulled up to Alex’s school and Noah got out of the car.  “Lock the doors.” He said and closed the door.  That didn’t make me feel safe at all.  I did as he said and locked the doors.  I was constantly checking the mirrors, looking behind me and making sure the doors were locked.  I don’t think anyone would come around a middle school if they wanted to get to Noah.

                A few minutes later Noah walked out of the building with Alex beside him.  Noah was smiling while he talked to his brother and just something about it made me smile.  You can hide a lot behind a smile.  I unlocked the doors and Noah got in beside me while Alex took the seat behind Noah.  I turned my head over my shoulder to look at Alex, “Looks like you’re stuck with me.” I teased.

                “I don’t have a problem with that, even though you suck at video games.”

                “At least I try.” I laughed and turned back around.

Noah pulled out of the school and headed back in the direction of his house.  “Call Ashley.” He directed.

I pulled my phone back out and found Ashley’s number.  “He’s gone.” She said before I even had the chance to ask.

I sighed with relief.  “Thanks, we’ll be there in like five minutes.”

                “Okay, see you in a few.”

I hung up and put my phone in my bag instead of my pocket. 

                I turned to Noah and he glanced at me before looking back at the road.  “Uh, it’s taken care of.” I said, trying not to say too much.  Noah acknowledged me with a nod.  I knew once I was alone with Ashley I would have to explain something, I just didn’t know what I was going to tell her.  I didn’t really know too much about the situation and if I did, I wouldn’t tell Ashley.  It’s not my secret to tell, it’s not even my secret to keep.

                We pulled up in the driveway and Ashley was leaning against her car door.  She smiled when she saw us and walked up to meet us as we got out of the car.  “This must be Alex.”  She held her hand out to him, “I’ve heard a lot about you.”