Chapter 12: My Apologies, Princess.

He was gone when I woke up.  I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep him for long but at least it was a moment.  One moment he’s here, another he’s gone.  And it’s my fault.  I should have tried harder.  I was alone in his dark room and it was colder with him gone.  I rubbed my bare arms, fighting back the tears that dared to spill out.  There was nothing I could do and it felt like I was suffocating.

                I found one of Noah’s sweatshirts in his closet and slipped it over my dress.  I found my phone on his nightstand and I picked it up.  It only had less than twenty percent left but it was enough power to make a phone call.  I found Ashley in my contacts and pressed call.  “Oh thank god!” She breathed.  “I’ve been calling you and Noah all day.”

                “I’m fine.  Can you come pick me up?”

                “Of course.  I’m on my way.”

I mumbled a thank you and hung up.

                I quietly made my way down the stairs and slipped out of the front door.  Noah’s car was gone.  Reality was setting in and a tear fell before I could stop it.  I couldn’t imagine what he’s going through right now and I didn’t even know if he was still alive.  He had to be.

                Ashley’s car pulled into Noah’s driveway and I opened up the passenger door to get inside.  I closed the door and prepared for questions.  “Where’s Noah?”  She backed out of the driveway and headed in the direction of my house.  “I don’t know.  He was gone when I woke up.”  I couldn’t tell her the truth.  “Why would you call him, Ashley?”  I looked at her.  Her eyes were stuck on the road but her face was soft.  “I’m sorry; I didn’t know what else to do.  I couldn’t find Scott anywhere and I couldn’t get a hold of him.  You begged me not to call Ash, don’t you remember?”

                “I do.” I lied.  “I’m sorry.  Thank you for being a good friend.”

She glanced at me and smiled a little.  “Were you drinking?”

                “No, I just didn’t feel good.”

Please don’t ask any more questions.  “I’m sorry I didn’t take care of you.” She stated.  “I should have just brought you back to my house but I was worried and I panicked.  Please don’t be mad.”

I shook my head and smiled at her, “I’m not mad at you, Ashley.  Thank you.”

Her features melted in relief.  “I’m just glad you’re okay.”

Me too.

                We were parked in my driveway but something kept me planted in the car.  “Are you sure you don’t want to go to my house?” Ashley asked.

                “No, I just want to be home.  I’m sure Ash will be back soon.  Thanks for picking me up.  I’m not sure if I’ll be at school tomorrow.”

She understood.  “I’ll call during lunch.”

I reached my arms out and wrapped them tight around her.  “Thank you.” I repeated.  “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

We parted and I got out of the car.  I waved as she backed out and disappeared at the end of the street.

                Noah’s absence felt cold.  I just keep thinking he’s probably home now, sitting in his room playing video games and avoiding any school responsibilities.  But he wasn’t.  I need to stop thinking about him.  I just wish there was a way I could help him.  I didn’t want to see him hurt.  I want to see him alive.  And I don’t know if I’ll ever see him again.