XV. Project Adrian

Chapter15: Project Adrian

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story

By TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

Adrian's POV

I gulped down my fears, sending them into my stomach to clench it into anxious knots. Actually, I turned around to see if Jamie was still in eyesight. He wasn't. I'd been standing in front of my house, terrified to the point it made my knees weak. Deep breaths had kept a panic attack at bay. At some point, my kegs had unwillingly carried me to my impending doom. Something I didn't expect was total and complete silence when I walked into the unlit house.

Nothing about this seemed right. I couldn't help but feel the need to look over my shoulder multiple times, like something was going to jump out and slice my head off.

"Mom? Dad?" I called. My voice echoed in the dark and empty house. I didn't get it. Their car was in the driveway, but they weren't here? Where could they have gone? I flipped the switch by the stairway, but the light wouldn't turn on. Did the lightbulb burn out? The house phone that rested on the table in the kitchen held only a dial tone. What was going on? This was suddenly feeling very horror movie-like. I climbed the stairs to see if there was something going on upstairs. See, if this was a horror movie, I'd be the first person to die. I creeked my bedroom door open. Everything in there seemed to be in order. So, I ventured to the bathroom.

My stomach dropped. What seemed to be blood stained the front of the door and the handle. Ever so slowly, I slid the door open. Nothing in life could have prepaired me for what was waiting there. My mother sat on the floor. She leaned her back against the side of the bathtub, completely motionless. Blood smeared all over the floor and puddled under her unmoving body. Her eyes were open but unfocused and unblinking. Tears welled as I screamed and fell backwards from shock. Her hands were placed over her stomach and were covered in blood. How in the hell could this have happened? Who did this?

I scrambled for my phone as tears rolled down my cheeks. My thumb worked to punch in the number 911.

"911, what's the emergency?" A woman said instantly.

"Please, help! My mom...s-she..." I couldn't finish as a sobbed cry interrupted me.

"Okay, please calm down. What's wrong with your mother?"

"She's not moving and there's blood..."

"Son, what's your name?" She started to sound sympathetic.

" Adrian Proctor." I snuffled. My voice was thick with tears and it was a wonder she could even understand me.

"Adrian, where are you?" I gave her my address.

"Alright an ambulance is on its way to your location. Until then, stay on the line and talk to me." I mumbled an okay and she continued. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Can you calmly explain what happened from start to end?" So I did. She kept asking me things like "where was I when I came home" or "if things seemed out of place". She kept talking as I leaned on the wall across from the bathroom.

"Oh god..." I whispered and broke out into sobs again.

"The paramedics and police should be there soon, Adrian. Just hang in there okay, buddy?"

"Yeah, okay." Sure enough, there was a pound on my door and then someone shouted.

"Paramedics coming in!" Footsteps came up the stairs and soon I saw a man in uniform with cops. They rushed forward, kneeling next to me.