Chapter 16 - You Deserve It

Theo POV

"Colton, I have patients to see and inventory to count. What is it that you so urgently needed to see me for?" I demand as I throw open the door to his office. 

"Can't a man ask his brother for a visit?" Colton asks sarcastically. 

"No, that ship sailed ten years ago. Now, what do you want?" I reply. 

"You know, anyone else here would have been punished for their insolence if they dared speak to me like this." Colton snarls. 

"Well, I am glad I am the Alpha's brother then." I retort. 

"Enough. I have matters to discuss with you. Come. Sit." He orders using his Alpha tone. I absolutely hate it, but I have no choice but to comply. 

"How can I be of assistance?" 

"I'm not sure if you are aware, but we have some matters to attend to today. Lars decided to relieve my mate during her heat last night, so he will have to be dealt with accordingly. I am thinking five days in the chamber, but I wanted to consult you first. Can't be having my Beta dying on me in this heat." 

"Hold up. What do you mean Lars decided to relieve Skylar during her heat? Did he take advantage of her? What happened?" I growl. I can feel my claws start to lengthen as they dig into the palms of my hand. 

"Nothing serious, I caught him before he could actually mate with her. Just some lewd acts that he should have known better than to attempt. Kissing, touching, etcetera - you know the drill." As he says this, I can't help but get the feeling that he is not only talking about Lars. 

"It's a tricky thing. Everyone knows that a she-wolf's heat draws men mated or not in no matter what we do. Pack members might think that punishing him is unfair. Some pack members might even think that Skylar was drawing him in. I mean, was the door even locked? Did she attempt to stop it? These are things we will need to look into."

"You better not be implying what I think you are, Theo." Colton snarls, banging his fists on the table. "My mate may be weak and stupid, but she isn't a whore who flings herself at males." 

I hold my own growl in at his words. "No, I am not calling her a whore. Colton, I am only trying to see if Lars is truly guilty. He has been your Beta for nine years. He has been your best friend for at least twenty. This isn't something he normally would do. This could all be just a misunderstanding." I try to reason with him. "He doesn't deserve to be punished for going on his instincts."

Colton pauses and thinks over my words. I lean back and give him a chance to mull it over. I know my brother. He may be an asshole, but he is typically a reasonable asshole. 

He lets out a loud breath before speaking. "I suppose you are right. She was in her heat. I just don't like when people touch what's mine. I am sure you can respect that, brother." Now I definitely know he is implying something more with his words. His eyes are burning into mine, and I can clearly see his amusement behind his smirk. 

"I can definitely understand. Skylar is your mate." I reply simply. 

"I appreciate the advice, Theo. You have been helpful." He tells me with a grin. "You may leave."

"Thank you. If you need anything else, you know where I am." 

"No, nothing else." He waves me off, looking down at some paperwork on his desk. I get up from my seat and walk to the door. As my hand grasps the handle, Colton clears his throat behind me. "Just a reminder, my dear brother, that I know everything that goes on in my pack." 

I try to keep my heart rate the same, but fail miserably. "I know." Then, I open the door and leave. 

We need to warn Skylar. Ivar yells at me.