02. What is going on

I automatically direct my gaze behind me

There's no one there. But I know there is someone in the house. And the fact that I didn't find my brother freaking scares me.

Where's Xander?

I run into my kitchen and grab a knife with a shaky hand. Never in my life have I experienced something like I am right now. Our parents taught us martial arts because it was important to them that we could defend ourselves. In case.

It was fine with me. But I've never thought I would need to defend myself one day. And here I am holding a kitchen knife in the dark, not ready at all and not even knowing what I'm doing.

Mom never taught me what to do with a knife! Or with a robber! Because that must be it, right? A robber? Or—

I hear the floor creaking.

Holding the knife with both hands because I'm too shaky, I walk slowly towards the hallway. I should have called mom and dad already. I'm really stupid. Who am I kidding, thinking I can defend myself with a stupid knife against someone in the freaking dark?

And suddenly, I feel it. Before I have time to react, I'm pushed against the wall, strong hands encircling my neck.

I let out a scream, trying to push away the strong man who's holding me. He hits my head against the wall hard and the stupid knife slides from my hands.

Black spot is the only thing I can see when the man covered all in black tightens his hands around my neck.

"Where are they?" he asks in a hard, threatening voice as I try to kick him in the right place.

And I succeed. The man lets out a scream and his grip loses strength. I take advantage of it and I punch him hard in the stomach before running away. Like the idiot I am, I head towards the wrong way. The stairs are in the other way but it's too late. I already hear the man taking heavy breaths as he stands up. I have no idea what to do, I'm completely panicked. I'm not my parents for God's sake! I can't defend myself properly because we've never learned how to in a situation like this.

Without knowing it, I'm in front of the back door. Just as I grip the handle my long hair is pulled back painfully. I let out a loud scream. Damn! It hurts.

He pulls me from behind and I fall on my butt. I wince and have no chance to do anything when the man is suddenly above me, not so happy.

For the first time in my life, I feel what It's like to be punched by someone. His fist meets my cheek and my face swings to the side.

Ouch.

I have no time to react before the man grabs my face making my eyes meet his. Honestly, I'm still too dizzy to see anything clearly. Plus, it's so dark.