Chapter Forty Eight

----------------------

Dedication: Peacedaisy123 for the edit of Hayden and Grace! Thank you!

Recap:

We re-joined with Harvey and Caitlyn. Harvey had a sour look on his face.

"What?" I asked.

"We get our HSC exam timetables today. Can you believe that in a few months, we won't be school students anymore?"

"I don't even want to think about it," I replied honestly.

We all began to make our way to class and I couldn't help but smile. Even though the thought of finishing school is scary, I know I'll be fine - because I am going to make sure, I'm with my best friends, no matter what.

-----------------------

"Happy Birthdaaaaay to you," my mum's voice sings as I sleepily open my eyes.

A slow smile stretches across my face as I rub my eyes, slowly sitting up in bed. It is good to see mum. She had to work my birthday last year and I didn't see her at all.

"Hi mum," I greet, my voice laced with sleep.

"My little girl is all grown up," she pouts, sitting on the side of my bed. "The big 18! You can legally be out in bars now... Oh God, I feel old."

I let out a laugh. "Don't go getting too mushy with me."

She turns, grabbing something off the bed. She passes me a plate filled with toast, hash browns and strips of bacon, thankfully no egg.I grin at her. It is hard to make a good breakfast when I'm fussy.

"So, what are you doing today?" she asks me.

I wash down my food with some orange juice and clear my throat.

"I think Hayden is coming over soon. I'll probably try and catch up with Harvey later. Do you have to work?"

"I'm starting at 1pm today, but at least I got to see you this morning," she smiles. "Now eat up, you'll want your energy for today."

"Yes boss," I reply sarcastically.

I am almost finished eating, when she speaks again. "Your present is on the way. Sorry I don't have it for today."

"That's fine."

After breakfast, I shower and dress quickly. I enter the kitchen, to see a tray of chocolate muffins, with the number 18 written in icing.

"Aw, that's so cute."

She isn't a very good cook, but I must admit her chocolate muffins always taste delicious.

I had just sat the table, when mum turned around. "Would you mind checking the mail?"

"It's a Saturday."

"I haven't checked it for a while," she says dismissively.

Frowning, I get to my feet and pad to the door. A shocked gasp leaves my lips when I see a Mitsubishi Lancer sitting in our driveway with a big red bow on it.

"Holy shit," I breathe, running down the stairs.

It is an electric blue with dark windows and a spoiler. The blue is sparkling underneath the sun.

"Oh, I forgot that was there," my mum says lightly. "Thought you might appreciate having some wheels."

"This is for me?" I ask her slowly, my eyes so wide I'm half-surprised my eyeballs don't pop out of their sockets.