Chapter 37: Negotiations

Chapter 37

Coach Turner took a deep breath, his eyes staring straight into mine.

His face was expressionless as he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

Elizabeth shifted nervously next to me, letting out a soft noise as she crossed her legs.

"For how long?" Coach Turner asked again.

"We'd be leaving on Thursday and coming back on Monday." Elizabeth answered for me, leaning towards the desk. "We'll be staying with my grandparents and probably just hanging out around the town, it's super small and quaint, and I'll take him to the football game."

Coach Turner nodded slowly, wincing slightly as he leaned forwards.

"You two are two of the strongest links on this team." Coach Turner said quietly. "To lose you both so close to States..."

"But you're not losing us." I shook my head. "And we'll keep up with the regimen and-"

"Listen, Coach, I haven't been home in months and I'd love the opportunity to show Charlie around where I'm from." Elizabeth said seriously.

"Okay a few conditions." Coach Turner said quietly, resting his elbows on the desk.

"Anything." Elizabeth and I said immediately at the exact same time.

She laughed and glanced at me. I responded with a wink before turning my attention back to Coach.

"You leave after practice on Thursday."

"We were planning on it." Elizabeth nodded.

"You come back on Sunday and sleep in your own beds on Sunday night. Next week is going to be important, I need you two well rested for practice on Monday." Coach Turner demanded.

"Easy." I confirmed.

"Actually..." Elizabeth winced, uncrossing her legs as she scooted forwards. "It's my grandpa's eightieth birthday on Sunday so we have a big family dinner... I'll be back on Monday in time for practice but I'll have to stay for Sunday night."

Coach sighed, rubbing his hands over his head.

"Fine. Both of you better be awake and ready for practice on Monday, no excuses."

"Done." Elizabeth nodded, sitting up straighter.

"No drinking."

"Already talked about it." Elizabeth glanced at me.

"No smoking."

"Don't do that anyways." I laughed.

Elizabeth stayed silent and gave me a sheepish smile.

I frowned at her but Coach Turner started talking again.

"No getting in trouble. No getting hurt. No jeopardizing our chances at States." Coach Turner said seriously.

"Of course, of course." Elizabeth nodded.

"Stick to the diet I've got you guys on with sufficient protein and vitamin-"

"My brother is in the middle of playoffs too, the whole house is healthy." Elizabeth reassured him. "Don't worry."

Coach Turner nodded, glancing between the two of us.

"No sex." He said seriously, crossing his arms.

My eyes widened and Elizabeth shifted in her seat again, both of us staying quiet.

"Now I don't really see how that affects..." I trailed off, glancing over at Elizabeth. She was too tan to tell if her cheeks were turning pink but her face was covered in embarrassment as she crossed her legs again.

"People pull muscles, get hurt, get pregnant, have drama, I'm not having anything happen." Coach Turner shook his head. "I have no way of controlling it but you know my rules. Two weeks before States and all the guys gotta abstain."

"Yes sir." I said quietly, knowing that last year I completely ignored that rule.

"Elizabeth, you can understand this, can't you?" Coach Turner asked her.

"Excuse me?" Elizabeth's eyes widened. "Why would I?"

"That kid who missed his block, he was preoccupied with a pregnant girlfriend and look what happened to your knee."

"Yes sir." Elizabeth nodded, rubbing her hand over her knee. "Yeah."

"Good." Coach Turner nodded, clapping his hands together. "Well, we should head back out there for film."

"Yeah." I sighed, glancing at Elizabeth.

She gave me a grin and I winked back, standing up from the chair.

Looks like we're going to Jersey...

--------

I'm sorry that this chapter is so short :(  it's only 646 words thats low

- E xx