Chapter 46: The Weekend After

Chapter 46

"How you doing?" I asked softly, leaning forwards as Elizabeth started waking up.

"Huh?" She laughed, rubbing her eyes with her left hand. "You're still here?"

"You think I would leave you?"

"What about your parents?" Elizabeth sighed, scratching her stomach. "Doesn't your dad want to go over game logistics with you?" She laughed.

"I told them to save it." I replied, standing up to walk towards the bed. "Have a nice nap?"

"These pain meds are hella fine." Elizabeth laughed, pulling her duvet closer to her chest. "I'm on a cloud of... I don't even know."

"Well at least the pain is gone. You were a mess last night." I sighed, sitting down on the edge of her bed.

Elizabeth gave me a soft smile, reaching for my hand with her good hand.

Her right arm was in a sling and she had a cast from the tips of her fingers all the way up to her elbow.

Her hair was a mess and her eyes were swollen and blotchy but she still took my breath away.

"I love you." She whispered, squeezing my hand.

"Likewise." I winked, bending forwards to kiss her.

"Say it." Elizabeth whined, shaking my hand. "I want to hear the words."

"I..." I whispered, kissing her forehead.

"Love..." I kissed her nose.

"You." I concluded, pressing my lips to her mouth. "So much."

"Good." She giggled, sinking lower into her pillow. "Wanna snuggle?"

"I totally would, but..." I trailed off. "There's somebody who really wants to meet you."

"Yeah?" Elizabeth raised her eyebrows. "He's already home from the hospital?"

"He sure is. Your parents made me promise I'd come get them when you woke up." I sighed, trying to stand up.

"Well then pretend I'm asleep for a little bit longer. I don't remember much from this weekend... Tell me what happened." Elizabeth sighed.

"Well..." I took a deep breath before launching into the dramatic story of everything that went down.

Right after the game ended, Elizabeth straight up refused to have her arm checked out.

We all went back to the hotel and were up until the sun came up, celebrating the win.

The bus ride back to Jefferson was dead silent, filled with tired, overexerted football players.

Elizabeth finally caved and let me drive her to the emergency room for her shoulder on Saturday around noon where she had emergency surgery to fix her hand, which she had broken two bones in her hand and had bone fragments floating around. She also had dislocated a finger.

Apparently it was amazing that the pain hadn't knocked her out yet.

Her shoulder would heal itself as it was a minor dislocation, nothing torn, just strained.

Saturday was also the day that her baby brother was born so I stayed mostly with Elizabeth while her parents were with the birth mom.

Tommy flew in Saturday afternoon and that gave me a chance to go home and talk to my family.

Chloe made up with Rick (much to my father's disapproval) but he was mostly preoccupied with ridiculing me for my 'inappropriate behavior' during the game.

My mom told him to save it and that she was proud of me for standing up for Elizabeth.

Saturday night I was passed out by nine and slept almost until noon on Sunday.

I spent the rest of the day at home with Elizabeth since her parents were still at the hospital with the new baby.

Today, Monday, I skipped school to stay with Elizabeth even though she slept most of the day.

And now we were here.

"What'd they name him?" Elizabeth asked softly.

"How about you just meet him?" I laughed, getting up from the bed. "I'll be back."

She nodded as I walked out of the room to get her mom.

Mrs. Von Batton came into the room with the baby in her arms, closely followed by her husband and son.

It was a whole party in Elizabeth's room and she seemed extremely uncomfortable at the close proximity of so much family.

"Elizabeth... Meet Levi Joseph Von Batton." Mrs. Von Batton said softly, sitting down next to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth's eyes widened and she looked at her mom in shock.

"He's so white!" She exclaimed.

Everyone laughed and Tommy gave her a shove.

"All babies are white, idiot. Maybe mom and dad actually wanted a kid that looked like them." Tommy gave her a look.

"Well hey." Mr. Von Batton warned. "You know that no matter what you look like-"

"You still love us just the same." Tommy and Elizabeth said in unison, rolling their eyes as if they heard it a lot.

"Can I hold him?" Elizabeth asked softly, holding out her good arm.

Mrs. Von Batton nodded but was definitely hovering as she laid Levi into Elizabeth's arm.

Elizabeth took a deep breath and smiled down at the baby.

"Hey. I'm your big sister. And I'm so much better than your big brother."

"Fuck off."

"Hey! Censor it." Mr. Von Batton said seriously.

Tommy rolled his eyes but Elizabeth kept grinning at the baby.

I felt a smile cross my face as my stomach turned at the sight.

Their little family was so perfect together...

I quietly excused myself from the room and walked outside into the hall.

Maybe one day Elizabeth and I could have a cute little family like that...

But for now, things were perfect.

THE END