Chapter 29

Chapter 29- Ella's POV

I walked down the stairs and sat down next to John on the step, not caring that I was blocking the way for people to pass. Not that there was anyone around, really. It was just John, sitting in the semi darkness. His green eyes looked into mine with curiosity registered in them.

"How did it go?" he asked. I didn't answer, and he continued. "You were up there for a while, so I'm guessing that he talked to you. I couldn't hear anything, though."

I shook my head and turned to him. "You didn't hear anything we said?"

John looked at me in surprise, as if he couldn't understand why I was asking him something he had already told me. But I had to make sure that no one had heard our argument. Or seen it.

I now realised how stupid I had been to kiss Edward at school, where there probably were cameras, and everyone could see. I'd been too desperate for him to forgive me that I'd just.. tried, in the most pathetic was possible, to lure him back to me.

"No, all I heard were muffled voices... you were whispering. Why?" John asked.

I shrugged. "I'm scared that someone heard us."

John grinned. "Why, scared that I did? What's wrong with that? It's not like I didn't know about you two."

"Of course you knew about us, you were the one to break us up, remember?" I shot him a glare and he looked away and mumbled a "sorry" to me. I sighed and continued. "There were students in his classroom, that's why."

"Right. Um, so, are you like gonna tell me what happened or not?" John chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. He turned to look at me.

"Nothing much," I said, realising that John was anxious to see whether Edward and I had made up. I decided to tell him the truth, there was no point in hiding it. "We did talk, but he didn't really want to listen. He's so convinced about what he's seen that he's totally shutting me out." I'd decided against telling him I had kissed Edward, though. It was weird, not to mention embarrassing.

John sighed. "I'm sorry."

Silence filled the air around us. Neither of us said anything to each other, there really wasn't much to say anymore. I had tried to talk to Edward and failed, and John's attempts had failed too. There wasn't anything we could do anymore, except maybe hope that all of this would be forgotten soon.

Time trickled by slowly, until the bell rang at 12.30pm. John stood up and offered a hand to help me up. I reluctantly accepted it. "Lesson?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yep, English."

"Me too." He smiled. "Shame that I don't teach you."

I let go of his hand and looked away. "Maybe you not teaching me is for the best. I still have to see Edward during the lesson, and trust me, it's the worst thing in the world."

"Yeah, I understand. Are you okay for now?" John asked, looking genuinely concerned.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. I mean, I knew what was gonna happen. I couldn't expect him to forgive me just like that."

"I'll try talking to him myself later..." John took a step closer and put a strand of hair behind my ear. "Take care, okay?" He kissed my cheek and backed away swiftly, barely leaving me time to react.

When he moved out of the light he was blocking, I saw a figure at the end of the stairs. My head started spinning around as I tried to make out whom it was. A glance at John convinced me that he'd seen the figure too, he looked just as shocked as I did. I turned and started making my way up the stairs, where my English lesson was going to be. There I saw another figure, which I recognized this time. I'd know that perfect face anywhere.