Chapter 3- Busted!

Charlotte walked slowly as her bodyguard, Max, led her through the gilt hallways of Buckingham Palace. This was a private area that members of the public couldn't see, but Charlotte still never felt at ease here. Her drab black hoodie and leggings contrasted sharply with the shining gold and white walls.

Kensington Palace was Prince William and Princess Kate's primary residence, meaning that Charlotte and her brothers, George and Louis, usually stayed in their childhood rooms there when the family was in London. But occasionally, as today, they stayed at Buckingham Palace to spend time with King Charles and his wife, Camilla. The king was 81 years old now and loved to see his children and grandchildren. It saddened Charlotte to know how much Charles longed for her uncle Harry and cousin Archie to phone more often from California.

Charlotte hated both palaces, to be honest. They were filled with high ceilings, expensive antique furniture, and paintings of royals long dead. They felt like museums. They were places where the King and the Prince and Princess of Wales met with world leaders, not places meant as homes for teenagers trying to be normal.

Charlotte and her bodyguard climbed an ornate set of stairs that led to the palace's living quarters. Queen Elizabeth II, along with her beloved Corgis, had mostly stayed here while she was alive. Now it belonged to Charles and Camilla, but there was ample room for others in the family.

The young princess was grateful that her older brother was here in the palace today. George always lit up the room when he was around. When he and Charlotte were younger, he had been her constant playmate. (With poor Louis always the third wheel!) Now George was her rock, her confidante, and her best friend. Charlotte couldn't imagine loving anyone more than she loved George.

As they approached one of the larger rooms in the private living quarters, Charlotte heard voices. It was the Times reporter and a photographer. They fell silent when Charlotte and Max entered the room.

"Ms. Tatum, Mr. Willis," said the bodyguard formerly, gesturing at the journalists. "May I present Her Royal Highness, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge."

Max hadn't mentioned there being a photographer. She wasn't dressed for pictures! Charlotte knew she should say something to them, but she knew she would stutter. Instead she just smiled. Princess Charlotte's shy smile was well-known in the palace, her go-to expression when she didn't want to talk - which was most of the time.

"It's an honor, Your Highness," said Ms. Tatum, the reporter. The photographer said something, too, but Charlotte was too nervous to pay attention. She touched the folded paper in her pocket. I should have been reading my poetry by now, she thought. Instead, I have to do this!

Max, knowing Charlotte's reluctance to speak, served as the tour guide, naming the subjects of the various paintings that hung around the room. "We'll go to the Rose Room, if you please," he said. "It's more intimate and has better lighting."

Charlotte and the photographer, Mr. Willis, dutifully followed being Max and Ms. Tatum as they exited the room and turned into a wide hallway. Mr. Willis was snapping pictures, but of the furnishings, not of Charlotte. For that she was very grateful.

To get to the Rose Room, they had to turn into another, narrower hallway. Ms. Tatum was talking rapidly, asking Max about the security provided here for the royal family. Max was starting to reply when they turned the corner. And then they saw them...

It was Charlotte's brother, Prince George, and one of his old Eton friends. Nigel, Charlotte believed his name was. She had seen pictures of him and George talking and laughing while they'd been away at boarding school. But they weren't talking now. They were standing close together, kissing.

~~**~~A scandal is brewing - members of the royal family are never openly gay. Stay tuned, I'll be posting the next chapter soon.~~**~~