Chapter 5- Brother & Sister

As soon as she could, Charlotte slipped away from the reporter and photographer. She really wanted to slip into the nearest loo so that she could puke her guts out - now that the reality of the interview was sinking in, she was becoming physically ill - but she had to get to George. Nothing on earth was more important than her brother's happiness, and right now, he was hurting.

Charlotte's legs shook as she hurried down the corridor. Forget her interview. What about him? What must he be feeling right now? It wasn't like him to be anything but brave and strong, but the look on his face as he had fled had been one of utter terror.

Charlotte had been as surprised as the rest of them had been to find George kissing a boy - although, now that she thought back on it, he hadn't ever really talked with her about having crushes on girls. It certainly wasn't for the lack of them; girls (and even grown women, ever since he had turned 16) were always throwing herself at him. But boys? Charlotte hadn't had a clue.

She sighed to herself as she turned into the guest suite where she, her brother, and her parents were staying. She had been so selfish! Absorbed in her own problems, she had had no idea her bright, confident brother was going through his own struggle. It must be hell for George to have to hide his real life, with no one in the family to talk to. She was a little hurt that he hadn't told her, but that feeling was drowned by her love and concern for him.

Stopping in front of George's closed bedroom door, she called out, "George? Are you in there?"

No answer. Charlotte stepping closer, thinking that perhaps George and Nigel were talking things over. But she heard no voices through the carved oak door. She knocked gently. "George?"

Her brother's muffled voice came from inside the room. "Go away."

"Please let me in," said Charlotte. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine!" grumbled George. "Go AWAY!"

Charlotte frowned. In ordinary circumstances, she would obey his wishes in an instant. But these were no ordinary circumstances. Her brother was hurting and needed someone to help him. She turned the door knob and found it unlocked. "I'm coming in."

George was lying sprawled across his bed, face smushed into his pillow. "I told you to go away."

Charlotte sat on the edge of the bed. Though the situation now was dire, it was always nice to be alone in a room with George. Then at last she could let her guard down and not have to worry about how people would view her stuttering. George loved her anyway with all his heart. Maybe that's why she never stuttered around him.

"How are you?" she asked.

George turned his head toward her. His cheeks were tear-stained. "Let's see," he said. "I'm soaked in a cold sweat. My stomach feels like it's dropped into an abyss. I'm freaking out because I don't know if they saw Nigel leaving the palace. Maybe the paparazzi are already on him."

"No one knows."

George stared at her. "What?"

"Max and I made a deal with them. He reminded them that they're not allowed to reveal secrets about you until you're fully of age."

George sat up so quickly that he nearly knocked his forehead against Charlotte's. "Are you serious? They're not going to print it."

"Nope."

He clutched her shoulders. "Charlotte! This is huge. What a load off. Oh, Charlotte!"

Charlotte smiled. "So you're alright?"

"Now I am, yes." He paused. "I suppose I owe you an explanation."

"No, you don't. Not at all."

But George was still talking. "Nigel and I... I don't know, it just happened."

"How long have you been together?"

George winced at the word 'together.' Charlotte could tell the conversation made him feel awkward, even though it was just her. "I don't know. Two years, I guess?"

Charlotte stared at him. "Two years? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know. It's a hard thing. I'm supposed to be king one day! And definitely no one in the royal family has ever come out as gay. I feel like the only one."

"Well, you know, Edward II..."

George laughed and hugged her. "I love you, Charlotte."

She smiled into his shoulder. "I love you, too. No matter what." After a moment, she added, "So when do I get to hang out with Nigel?"

"You want to?"

"Of course! I'm sure I'll like him, if you do."

"I know. It's just... I know how hard it is for you to meet new people. I know you get anxious beforehand because they don't know your secret. I can tell Nigel now, if you want."

Charlotte was touched that George hadn't told even Nigel without her permission. He really was the best brother. "You won't have to tell him," she said softly. "He'll already know. Everyone will."

George drew back. "What do you mean?"

Charlotte hesitated. She didn't want George to feel guilty for what she'd done on his behalf. "I - did the interview."

George nodded. "Yes, I know you had it scheduled. A damned mean thing for them to make you do."

"Yes," said Charlotte. Then - "I gave them permission to tell their readers about my speech impediment."

George couldn't have looked more shocked if she had told him she was about to get in a space capsule and head for Pluto. "What?! Charlotte! People finding out is your worst fear. Why did you do it?"

Charlotte squirmed and said nothing. It was suddenly impossible to meet George's eyes.

"Charlotte?" George said.

"Please don't feel bad," she said, so quietly that he had to bend in close to hear her. "But they were going to print a vicious story about you and Nigel as soon as you came of age. So I gave them this instead."

"Oh, Charlotte, no! You didn't! You used yourself as collateral, for me?"

It took a good part of an hour to get him calmed down, but he remained upset for the rest of the evening. He said nothing as they watched TV together, snuggled in under the duvet, but Charlotte could tell he was wracked with guilt. She only wished there were a way to convince him that it had been worth it. He was worth it.

They must have fallen asleep for awhile, because when Max knocked at the door and came in, it was pitch black outside the window and their stomachs were growling. They looked at Max groggily as he stepped across the room. "W-what is it?" Charlotte asked.

But Max stood silently, looking down on them with an indescribable expression. "Max?" said George. "What's the matter?"

"I'm so sorry," Max whispered. He looked at Charlotte. "I'm so sorry, Your Highness." Then he looked at George. "I'm sorry, Your High- Your Majesty."

"Your Majesty?" George said blankly. "That's Grandpapa. He's the King."

Max stood silently again, and then, to George and Charlotte's astonishment, he began to cry.

"M-m-Max," whispered Charlotte. "What has h-happened?"

~*~*~*~ In the next chapter, a terrible tragedy strikes the Royal Family. How will Charlotte and George hold themselves together?  - - Thanks for reading, guys! I hadn't updated this story in awhile but now I plan to do so regularly. ~*~*~*~