Chapter 34

Things didn't go like Kate had thought they would. 

Victor got discharged from the hospital the next day, sure, but then he got a call from his mother. Hearing her son had got shot, she had rushed to Asthel. Obviously, Victor had to now return to his own place. And he did just that, though looking quite reluctant. 

"Come inside?" Victor asked when she dropped him off, his eyes a little tired but looking at her with the same indulgence as ever.

"I'll surely stop by later to meet your mother, I promise. For now, let's give her some needed personal time with her son. She must be stressed," she'd said, smiling before sliding back inside the taxi and waving goodbye.

Because of the current situation, Alex decided to stay over at Kate's for a few more days. 

"Once again, Alex, I'm sure I can manage just fine alone," she told Alex. 

Alex grunted in response. "I'm not leaving until Nolan is completely out of the picture."

"But he's in police custody getting interrogated right now, isn't he?" she was exasperated.

Alex had simply grunted again and marched over to her bathroom, saying over his shoulder, "But his hit-mans are not, are they?"

Now, Kate couldn't retort back at that.

--

With surprising nonchalance, Ellie was back to her usual self since that morning. And Victor never got to see how all over the place she had been the day he got shot. 

Ellie even didn't accompany Kate when Victor got discharged from the hospital. Instead, she went to the boutique, giving the very valid excuse of the business needing at least one top-class responsible person. 

When afternoon came, Kate could almost feel the layers of skin and flesh of her body peeling off. Alex's silent, brooding presence in her small apartment could be blamed for that. And so, even she decided to head over to the boutique. 

And, of course, Alex's car followed behind her, keeping a fair distance from the taxi she was in. 

What was he trying to do? Being discreet?  Well, then, he was pathetically failing at that.

At least it was less awkward than when they were trapped in her small apartment, with the air of unsolved threads dangling loosely in between.

"Why the f*ck you're here?" Ellie stormed towards her the moment she saw Kate entering the boutique. "You were supposed to rest at home."

Kate shrugged and went inside her small office at the back. Ellie followed behind closely. "I've recuperated just fine. And, yes, there's some weakness but trust me, Ellie, that it's not going to kill me."

Ellie snorted. "You're one of the sweetest people, Kate, but that doesn't make you any less stubborn. It's as irritating as diabetes, you know."

Kate didn't reply. She just slid behind her desk and aimlessly began shuffling through the small pile of files. All the while, Ellie stood in silence, hip propped up against the desk. 

Kate had a feeling she had something to say, and it might be of utmost importance. And she was proven right after a few long minutes of stretched silence.

"About...," Ellie began clearing her throat. "What you asked last night, Kate..."

Kate stilled. Finally.

"Yes," Ellie breathed out. "I like him. I like Victor. But then again, who doesn't? But you know what, it's not that all-consuming, novel-worthy kind of like-like. Oh, how do I explain it?" she paused for a second, wringing her hands in exasperation. 

Kate listened with patience, never interrupting for a second.

"Have you ever had a crush on one of those cheesy, hunky heroes in the movies or TV shows or something? Like, you freaking want to have someone like that in your life, and you daydream about it a lot. This feeling, it's not real, and it's more because of the fact that you live the idea of being loved by someone so impossibly wonderful like that. Yeah, that's what I feel. I've been the witness to how Victor healed you, how he takes care of you, the way he looks at you. Kate, I want someone to look at me like that. Because, come on, look at me. No matter how much I try to deny it but it's true that I'm bloody getting old. I just ripped off a grey hair this morning," Ellie informed with wide eyes as if she was struck in fear just by the memory of her grey hair. "And despite me saying that I'm alright alone, and I'm, but that's not what I want when I look at Victor looking at you."

The muscles on Kate's face froze before releasing and forming into a frown. Looking at you... Kate shook her head, spurning the idea. "Victor looks at me just as a friend, Ellie," she spoke carefully. "And maybe, what you desire so badly probably is just an arm's length away already. And what you need is just to open your eyes and recognize it." 

She thought about Neil, and she knew it was not her place to push this ahead. It was still too early. And things might get ruined before they've even got started. 

She watched with a secretive smile as Ellie's face scrunched in deep thought. 

It was the best she wanted for her friends. 

~

 I'll be updating faster now. No more month-long breaks. But the chapters will be short. Thanks for reading and your precious votes and comments! I can't express how much your support means to me. I love you all.

Love,
Lara.